VMR Summer Rally 2008 - Driving Test

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

VMR Summer Rally 2008 - Driving Test

Post by Ian Grace »

Guys,

I am planning something new and interesting for Sunday afternoon - a sprint/driving test on the peritrack at Thorpe Abbotts. The test will be timed and combine handling challenges with a sprint of good length along the old peritrack and will also form the basis for the Lewis and Nicholson Austin 7/Morris Minor challenge, where the test will be run as a team relay. Other teams - SV Minors, M Types, larger Morrises, Aston Martins, etc. would be welcome to play.

Who will step forward to Captain the Minor team? And who would like to be a member of the team? Chris Dallas will once again Captain the Sevens.

I will need one or two marshals, but the course will be designed to minimize the number of marshals needed. Any volunteers?
halbe

Re: VMR Summer Rally 2008 - Driving Test

Post by halbe »

I'll help , but I have no experience whatsoever

Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Halbe - but nor has anyone else! I'm letting Chris Lambert lead on the course planing as he is familiar with the real estate and also the wishes of the land owner. But I'm sure we can all have some good, clean fun on the day!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Rally planning update. All entries received so far have indicated preference for the tour as opposed to the nav rally, so NO nav rally entries received so far. Accordingly, and to save a huge amount of planning and to save Chris a huge amount of work on the day, I've decided to pass on a nav rally this year and concentrate all planning effort into the tour, which should be fascinating. The driving test on Sunday will represent the competitive element of the weekend and so the Roy Hogg Trophy will not be awarded this year. The Lewis & Nicholson will be decided by the driving test.

If you have not yet sent in your rally entry, now is the time to do it! Thanks to all those who have already done so.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I know it's easy to come up with ideas for other people, but! How about a "treasure hunt" type tour? You don't seem to get these anymore and it makes you look at your surroundings a bit more! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

That would win my vote - but then I might already have the answers!
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Certainly. My thinking was a 'turbo' tour of sorts. I'm sure we can develop something fun and worthwhile.