bonnets

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

bonnets

Post by ashford »

How interchangable are minor bonnets? I need a bonnet to fit a 1933 type radiator shell. I've been offered one that was taken off a car many years ago with a chassis number that dates it to 1930. Will this fit the later type rad shell?
Tony Gamble

Re: bonnets

Post by Tony Gamble »

Hi

It's the length that's critical. The '33 will be for a SV car and so would be slightly longer than an OHC car's .

Also at the scuttle end the early side panels were horizontal [ in fact right across the length ] whereas the SV ones had a "dip" to fill the triangular gap .

I don't think the shape at the rad end would be terribly different for all models.

Get Toby to measure the length of his '33 bonnet along the top hinge. That should help you decide.

Cheers

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I think there are also problems at the radiator end of things. The '32 season radiators and after had curved sides and were broader - a spacer being welded to the vertical sides of the core assembly to give the shape. I have seen late bonnets on early cars and there is a distinct gap down the sides, so it would be impossible to fit an early bonnet around a late radiator.

Other oddities I have noted is that some early bonnets had the steel trips which hold the side up out of the way spot welded to the bonnet tops - on later cars they were attached by four chromed domed bonnet studs. Take a look at any early car and you will see what I mean. I believe that the very early cars didn't have these risers at all, but I wouldn't swear to it without checking.

And the '31 season fabric cars (saloons and 2-seaters) had leather grain patter bonnets - the grain rolled into the steel before manufacture. The ex-Roy Hogg van (now with Vick Plowman in Dorset after passing through the hands of Jim Worth) has risers made of grained steel off cuts. It was laid down 8th January 1931 so the bonnet is probably original.
ashford

Post by ashford »

The minor forum amazing!!! Where else could I get such a full answer in such a short time - many thanks for your replies.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

My minor is a 1933 sv two seater. It had a 'long' radiator shell, with the hole at the bottom for the starting handle. I changed this for an earlier shell (1932) the bottom of which stops at the chassis. It fitted perfectly, no gaps - just right. The only proble is the fron valance on the 1932 cars is filled in right back to the rad where as the 1933 valance had a shaped gap to take the longer shell. Mine has this gap but it does not notice. I have just messured my bonnet - 720cm at the hinge. The front of the bonnet is 520cm to the curve. I am no expert but looking at pictures I think the 1929 rad has a sharper curve at the top - would the bonnet pull round this curve? All the best anyway, Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

i'm actually looking for an early bonnet right now. The type that is flat across the bottom of the sides - if you know what I mean! The tops could be from any scuttle tank car. Come to think of it, I could probably modify the sides to make them flat! So any scuttle tank bonnet would do. Or any parts thereof?
ashford

Post by ashford »

I was offered a bonnet forsale from vmr member John Foreshaw. This is what made me start this thread. I need a bonnet for a 1933 rad shell. John gave me the chassis number of the car he believes the bonnet came off - it tallys with a 1930 production date. It is therefore no use for my present needs but might be useful to you? I have been very slow and still haven't got back to John so I better give him a ring tomorrow. If he still has it I will try and find out some more details - if it is the flat bottomed type or not. - I still have a morris minor hybrid van bonnet for swaps or free to anyone who has need of it.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hi Ashford, are you still looking for the later bonnet?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
ashford

Re: bonnet

Post by ashford »

Hi Toby,

Yes I still need a bonnet for a 1933 type rad shell. I also need the steel bracket that holds the steering column to the fire wall.

James
Toby

Post by Toby »

Have bonnet, may have bracket, will search! themings@yahoo.co.uk
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear