Whatever happened to the Maltby Fabric Saloon?

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Whatever happened to the Maltby Fabric Saloon?

Post by chris lambert »

One of the 'stars' of the 2005 VMR Rally was undoubtably the Maltby Fabric saloon. Perhaps the only survivor, this car was trailored to the event and attracted much attention. It certainly looked very original and complete. It was for sale, although I can't recollect the asking price and I certainly can't remember the name of the vendor. After the excitement of its unearthing and its attendance at the rally, no further news of it has surfaced. Does anyone know the name of the owner or the whereabouts of the car? Is it still for sale? If it is, it would make a very worthwhile project, and keep alive a little bit of our cars history.

Chris
Last edited by chris lambert on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DF9053

Re: Whatever happened to the Maltby Fabric Saloon?

Post by DF9053 »

Lovely isn't it, I am sure Ian will know where it is!

cheers
Jeremy
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

I believe the only thing presently Maltby about this car was the name plates with Maltby on them!

I believe the car was once a Maltby two seater on which the body had shaken to bits, a chap in the Garage trade combined it with a fabric saloon that had been smashed up the front and wrecked its chassis and engine. He retained the name plates for some strange reason!

Edited to add:-
I think the only stumbling block to this car resurfacing was the price the vendor required in 2005, the premium added for its VSCC association and the Matby claim, were perhaps more than anyone was prepaired to pay. Looks like it has the early bottom feed SU! :o
Last edited by David Whittle on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

David is correct. Apparently the car is not what it appears to be on the surface. I have just found and re-read the article from issue M121 of the VMR Magazine (reproduced below).
I also now know that the owner at that time was Sue Pocklington, whose details Ian will have somewhere on his database. Regardless of the car's bona fides, it is still worth saving, and assuming that it hasn't deteriated too much over the last three years, should be a relatively easy restoration. Much is known about the car and its history and David Roscoe conducted a fascinating interview with Olive Willats, a previous long term owner, shortly before her death. It is recorded in another edition of the VMR Magazine, but I haven't managed to find it yet.
Are there any more Halbes' out there looking for a worthwhile project?
Chris
Edited to add: Strange that a perpetrator of such a project would go to the trouble of getting the Maltby Fabric colour correct and rebuilding the body to such a high standard for what could only have been a couple of pounds difference in the second hand value between 'the fake' and a standard Fabric bodied saloon? In fact the extra cost would surely rob him of any perceived profit!

David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

Last edited by David Whittle on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

I found the attached picture of a Wolseley Hornet saloon and it is tempting to consider that a body from a car like this was used on the 'Maltby Minor' although I don't know if the colours match. However the car has Morris Minor threshhold plates with Maltby ones fixed over them.
Ken
Attachments
1930  Wolseley Hornet Saloon.jpg
1930 Wolseley Hornet Saloon.jpg (146.53 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ken,
To my untrained eye, this Maltby body (all be it on a Hornet chassis) looks very similar to that on a Minor Fabric Saloon. I can see that there are different side lights and no doubt the trim and perhaps some other 'extras' have been added, but where else do the differences show?
Chris
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Chris
The picture of the Wolseley Hronet shows a standard car and not one with a Maltby body. Does anyone have a picture of a Minor or Wolseley with a Maltby body? I thought I had one, but haven't been able to find it.
I was picking up on the suggestion by David Whittle that the car was rebodied. The existing body looks like the Wolseley one shown above and so I thought I would post it. As I said the fact that the car has Morris Minor thresh hold plates rather discounts the proposal that a Wolsely body was used, but it was worth showing to the Forum readers.
Ken
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Regardless of the car's antecedents, does anyone know where the car is now and what is it's current condition? I may have a prospective purchaser.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes I do. I'll e-mail you.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Chris,

I called Sue Pocklington this morning and briefed/primed her. She tells me that she has a French builder interested so I immediately called Stephen and gave him Sue's contact detail and recommended that he move very quickly. He got his neighbour to e-mail me and I passed on all the info I have on the car. Let's hope he dashes up to Sleaford and does the deed. If Steve doesn't bite, then the car is available NOW for GBP 3.5k ono (with a min, of GBP 3k).
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ian,
I will talk with Steve tomorrow and see if we can go up and view the car together - Price sounds reasonable.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Definitely reasonable. It is mind boggling to think that such a rare vintage Minor with such interesting history and in such sound, original condition can languish on the market for so long - particularly so since the owner actually brought it all the way from Lincolnshire to Prescott to show it off at our summer rally. Let's stop sleep walking and SAVE THIS CAR!!!!! :evil:
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The bad news is it looks like this car will NOT be going to Steve, who lives in an adjacent village to me here in Suffolk. The good news is that he is very interested in another Minor project and so we may yet have another Minor on the road in a year or two.
The Fabric Saloon must be an excellent starting point for a project, possibly the best there is available at the moment. The price is pretty reasonable for a car that is original and totally complete. It also comes with a pair of genuine Maltby kick plates that must be worth a few bob on eBay! If none of the regular posters to this forum are looking for another car to get their teeth into, surely some of you forum 'lurkers' are not just voyeurs and are genuine enthusiasts and want such a car? The car could be your passport to 'come out' and join in the witty repartee that sets this forum apart from the rest!!! Get your cheque books out.
Chris
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I agree with Chris - this is a super car to start with - all original and looks as if it would start first swing. The price is right and when you think how much was wanted for that saloon last week the mind boggles. Just what can you buy for £3000 today? Highlander.