Whatever happened to the Maltby Fabric Saloon?

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Whatever happened to the Maltby Fabric Saloon?

Post by Ian Grace »

So Roger Baker is offering the Willats fabric saloon for sale again. He collected it from Sue Wednesday and had it for sale the next day. So much for it going to adorn his petrol pump collection ...

View the ad at http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C137831?pt=pf.

I had been working with a true enthusiast for the last month or so who was very interested in acquiring this car and was planning a trip to Lincolnshire to view it. But Sue sold it just before he had a chance to get there.

Spare me, please! :?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

It is enough to make one cry!! As Ian stated we all had the chance to buy and have had a year or two to make our minds up. I am surprised to see the original number still on the car. Did someone say it went for £3000?? Better than work. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It's worse than that, Alister. It took me three years of intensive research to even track this car down - through a series of owners including Gordon Davico who I found running the Gravetye Hotel in Sussex, Geoff Thornton (twice), the crook dealer Arthur Housden up in Peterborough - you wouldn't believe what that took - even trying to track down the Maltby archives in a back street of Eastbourne (after Caffyns bought Maltby in 1946, I discovered). Then there was all the reasearch into its history, much of which was provided by Olive of course, who I also had to track down because she had moved from Godstone to Devon long ago - but her unusual surname helped - if she had been Olive Smith, I'd never have found her or unlocked half of the history. Then I had David Roscoe visit her and interview her - I still have the audio tape - wonderful lady. Once I had tracked her and the car down, I tried to get her (or more accurately her family) to buy it back from Sue, but the planets didn't line up - that was back in 2003. But the family and I became lifelong friends and we are still in touch. So I then persuaded Sue to bring it to VMR Prescott and offer it for sale. Still no taker, so she hauled it home again. And then, for the last FIVE years, I've been trying to find it a good home.

And then this happens.

I give up!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

One of the many 'sidelights' to this story is that I used to have a good friend in San Francisco - Roger Sherron. He was a retired Pan Am Captain, and fellow member of the deHavilland Moth Club. I used to visit him back in the eighties and fly with him at weekends when working in San Fran, and I bought my second Tiger Moth from him. But I digress.

Roger was a true Anglophile and bought a cottage in Godstone where he stayed every summer so he could instruct at the Tiger Club at nearby Redhill. In his long career with Pan Am, he had started flying the Boeing Clippers from SFO (Treasure Island) to Hawaii and so was an avid seaplane pilot and instructor. The Tiger Club at that time operated a Tiger on floats (G-AIVW) from the gravel pits out on Dungeness Point in Kent - so Roger was their main Sea Tiger instructor every summer for many years - until some idiot threw it into the sea and it was no more.

I'm digressing again. Anyway, it turned out that while I was trying to trace Olive Willatts, I discovered that she had owned the cottage directly next door to Roger in Godstone! Roger and his wife were still in annual Christmas card contact with Olive down in Devon, so it took someone in San Francisco to track her down in deepest Devon!

Here's Roger in Flight Magazine (in one of Roger Bacon's wonderful columns) back in 1970 with two of his aircraft ...

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 01116.html

Roger obtained his pilots license in 1937. He was in part inspired by the Lindbergh transatlantic flight of 1927, and in fact he did, on one occasion, have the chance to fly a 'plane with Lindbergh on board.

Roger's first job in aviation at the age of 11 was cleaning bird droppings off the wings of aeroplanes. He then sold rides on the plane his boss flew around the Chapel Hill, North Carolina area. They would land on a farmers' dirt strips and offer 10-12 minutes rides for $1.00 per person, two people at a time in a 90 horse power plane with a water cooled engine.

Years later he got into the communications department of Pan Am, as a result of his experience with ham radios and general radio operations. He worked on the Boeing 314's (Clipper flying boats) as a radio operator. He said this 'plane was the finest he ever flew. He was a radio operator on flights from New York to Bermuda. After getting his commercial license Pan Am hired him, where he flew a four continent route to make one crossing from Lisbon back to the U.S.

Roger flew DC-3's from Miami to Buenos Aires, and flew other planes during his career including the DC-4, Convair 240, DC-6, 707 and finally the 747. In 1967 he bought a Tiger Moth in England (built in 1942, by Morris Motors, of course) and had the parts flown to Sonoma County Airport near Santa Rosa in northern California where he re-assembled it. Roger was automatically retired at age 60 in 1976.

In 1987 he flew his Tiger Moth between the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge during the 50th anniversary celebration of the Golden Gate Bridge and landed at Crissey Field in downtown San Francisco. That day, about fifty vintage aircraft assembled for multiple fly-bys of the bridge and I was fortunate enough to fly many bridge 'sorties' that day in a wide variety of interesting aircraft, including one Aeronca Chief where we removed a birds nest from where the struts went into the wing before taking off!

Happy days.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian - are you trying to take over fro Biggles??!! Super story and a better one was Jack Blyth's trip round New Zealand. It is good to read, for me anyway, that Jack is 77 years old - I am 75 in May and still say you are as old as the woman you feel. Wecome Jack. I loved NZ, my daughter and son in law were working in Wellinton about 10 years ago and Molly and I visited - 27 hour flight but worth every minute. A wonderful country, we 'did' the North Island and the South Island. Jack I am just about to watch Scotland beat Wales with a glass or two of a single malt - it is a hard life!!. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

On a much more upbeat note, I hope to have some very good news regarding the '29 tourer FB 8045/SV 9091 next week - watch this space.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I could do with some good news!!! How did Scotland loose yesterday? England only just won today. I am out of Scotch. It is Valentines Day and I have just got 4 faults for a refusal!! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's one to cheer you up, Alister.

"I'm damned if I can see how this bloody thing goes together ...."

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Confirmation. From Car and Classic:

"Pre-war Morris motor cars and commercials wanted, up to £6,000 - anything considered. We will collect. Please contact us at The Vintage Petrol Pump Company 01947 895289 or 07876 741183."

So you try to find a good home for a unique vintage Minor for years, and then a dealer snaps it up for the asking price. What's wrong with this picture? :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Highlander wrote:It is enough to make one cry!! As Ian stated we all had the chance to buy and have had a year or two to make our minds up. I am surprised to see the original number still on the car. Did someone say it went for £3000?? Better than work. Highlander.
Alister, Sue sold it for GBP 3,600.

For the record, her late father bought it in November 1978 from Southeringtons of Bridge Street, Grantham, but never did anything with it. Then Sue inherited it and did likewise, having no interest in old cars.
halbe

Post by halbe »

3600...... not a lot of money for such an original, VSCC eligible car.

I only hope the new owner has enough historical consciousness to keep the car as original as possible.

Halbe