Tyres.

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Mike Stubbings

Tyres.

Post by Mike Stubbings »

I seem to have started something with exhuasts and brakes. Now I am going to start you all on tyres and what you recommend and where from. Mike.
ashford

Re: Tyres.

Post by ashford »

I think Im right in saying most minors were originally fitted with triple stud dunlop tyres when they left the factory. Replicas of these have only become available in the last few years and many people are changing to them to have the period look. These are relatively cheap and available from either Longstone tyres are the Blockley tyre company in 19 x 3.50 or 4.00.
Both these companies have websites.

Im not certain you can get this tread pattern on an 18inch wheel if you have a 1934 minor. For some reason the tyre companies don't seem to want to make these tyres for 18inch wheels despite many cars such as riley, wolseley hornet and singers all having 18inch wheels.
For fast competition use, some people say that avon sm mk11s are more likely to slide than dig in and flip the car but it is one of those topics you will probably get a different opinion from who ever you speak to.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

NO contest.....
i personaly hate the look of a minor on skinny tyres, these look just right in my view anyway...!!
Or if you insist, you can get those in a 350 19 instead of a 400 19.....
http://www.vintagetyres.com/display.asp ... 9&m=6&dc=9
halbe

Post by halbe »

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Halbe,

This is the Blockley tyre and it is a very good tyre - the only one with the original triple-stud pattern. I would strongly recommend it.
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Ian
I don't think Longstones sell Blockley tyres - in fact I think theirs are the 'cheap immitations' that Blockleys warn about in their ads. I don't know which is best though. I see Vintage Tyre Supplies are also marketing a triple stud tyre - Dunlop?
Blockleys seem to have the support of the hard core VSCC lot - not surprising as a well known member set up the comapny that makes them.
Until relatively recently there were no new 4.00x19 tyres available! I ran on second hand or old stock tyres for years and in 1960s used new and used 4.50x19s on the back. Fortunately I never had to resort to 3.50x19s which look wrong.
Who would have thought back then that we would have such a choice in 2008?!
One thing I have noticed is that the tyres for vintage cars don't do many miles compared to modern car tyres.
Ken
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Good spot Ken. I just spoke to BDerfek Freathy at Blockley and he confirmed that the triple stud tyres being offered by Longstone and Vintage Tyre Supplies ARE the immitations. Apart from themselves, their only UK distributor is Motor Wheel Services, and in the USA they use Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley, California which is probably where I will get my next set.

I don't know anything about these immitation tyres, but I guess they are not as good.

My firtst Minor had a subtle combination of wheels and tyres - 350 x19, 400 x 18 and 450 x 17 - which all had the same outside diameter!

The Bed-Pan currently has a set of new old stock 400 x 19 Dunlops on it which had been sitting around in Los Angeles for an unknown number of years. I noticed in Dorset that great chunks of tread were coming off the front tyres and they were feathering badly (until Ronald fixed my tracking in front of the Abbey!) so I guess they are well past their sell by date. Apparently the peoblem is UV, so if you have tyres stored - keep them in the dark!