Engine installation......

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

Engine installation......

Post by Ronald »

Crazy question i know, but what have people found to be the easiest way to fit an engine into a car with steering column and firewall in place.... cos getting the old one out was a right pain...... getting the flywheel housing past the steering column was less than easy...... i removed the rocker cover which helped slightly, but i fear the best way is to fit the block without the head on, which isn't gonna happen, as the engine has already been run and tested so i'm not taking the head off now...... i have a crane, but even with that struggled to manuever the engine out....
chris lambert

Re: Engine installation......

Post by chris lambert »

Ronald,
When getting the engine back into the saloon we used a chain block and tackle and angled the engine a couple of degrees lower to the rear, suspending it from a roof joist. The steering column and firewall were in place. As the engine was (very) slowly lowered the second pair of hands, 'joggled' (technical term!) the engine past the obstacles in the engine bay. This method does require the services of two pairs of hands but was very effective, the manoevering taking no more than 10 mins. Cylinder head was fitted.
Chris
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ronald

My experience has been identical to Chris's - albeit I was using a small mobile hoist - but I think that Chris's statement of " a couple of degrees lower at the rear " is a little conservative ! I think we angled it backwards quite severely , say 30 degrees , at times.

I also agree with Chris that you need two sets of hands - the "joggling" job is very important.

Tony G
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I put DF's engine back in with the gearbox on - never again! I have an engine crane and the angle was quite steep as Tony says, but I did manage on my own and did not break anything although I did scratch the firewall a bit. I put a rope around the gap between the sump and the rear housing and another round the front housing minding the oil pipes. The radiator was off but that was all.
Good fun and good luck

cheers
Jeremy
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Thanks all..... i knew it would be tight, but i've done modern cars that were easier than the minor will be...... i think i'll need to call on mum to undo the valve on the hydraulic hoist...... she paid for the engine, if she drops it it's her problem eh..LOL!!!

i think for the sake of preserving things, i might remove the throttle linkage off the firewall, as it's quite thin, and would easily get bent/broken..... no way it's going in with the gearbox on though.......!!