Minor Dynamos

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Minor Dynamos

Post by Ian Grace »

To jump start the Forum after the Christmas break, Roger Lucke and I are preparing a 'definitive' article on Minor dynamos and third brush electrickery for M 127 - explaining how they work, what to do when they go wrong and how to test them - in and out of the car. If anyone has any relevant input - tricks of the trade, etc. that they would like to contribute, then I'd be happy to graft them in to the article. Conversion to 2-brush or 12 volts will probably be kept for a future article, but let's have your input anyway. TIA, Ian
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I understand that there is a company that will rebuild them as 12v alternators - that would make driving at night a breeze!

Jeremy
gb

Post by gb »

Hi Ian,

Nick Feakes, who runs teh MGCC forum is extremely knowledgeable re 3 - 2 brush dynamo conversions, how to use solid state diode systems (without altering the look of your voltage regulator/cutout) he als has a load of lucas technical articles on conversions from older CF type cutouts to the more modern (!) RF91/95 etc types..

He helped me sort out my 6 - 12 volt conversion, and 3 - 2 brush system on my M type...

Worth an email if you iintend to run a comprehensive article.

Regards
MG F1 Tourer, Morris 8 Special and ex M type owner