Battery terminals

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Battery terminals

Post by Highlander »

Had a good run across the downs to Leatherhead. On reachingn home I lifted the seat to look for numbers punched in the bodywork - There are none. However I noticed what looked like a toad, yes a toad, on the + terminal of the battery. On close inspection this was crud. I have had this many times on most vintage vehicles but this was large. I just knocked it off and cleaned up with boiling water and greased up. I have a standard 6 volt system. I always run the car fully charged and have never switched to half or summer. Questions. 1 - What is the cause? 2. Is there a way of stopping this? 3. Does it matter? My lights are not bright (Toby will confirm!!) but I put this down to dull reflectors, 6 volts, and age. I do enjoy the VMR forum, Regards, Aye, Alister.
Trevor Wilkinson

Re: Battery terminals

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Probably either overfilling of battery or overcharging or a combination of both. Something is causing the electrolyte to escape from the vents.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I wouldn't say your lights aren't bright, more not modern! Anyway, I didn't notice as I had my eyes closed, in fear, at the breakneck pace we ascended the downs:lol:(only joking) There was a guy at Beaulieu, last spring, who was remanufacturing the lucas lights for A*****s. I bought a pair to replace the Bosch lights on PJ. I seem to remember that he built the units up according to finish etc. so technically he would be able to supply new reflectors. A bit off topic but I'll see if I can source his details!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
1936morriseight

Post by 1936morriseight »

I think you'll find the guy remanufacturing Lucas headlamps for A*****s is Stuart Joseph, I'll look up his contact details and report back. My other car is an A****n Seven :roll: He certainly does the Lucas L131's fitted to Series I/II Eights, not sure if he does the R35's fitted to pre Series Eights and possibly later SV Minors?
Last edited by 1936morriseight on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1936morriseight

Post by 1936morriseight »

Re remanufactured Lucas Headlamps, I believe Stuart Joseph's telephone number is 01785 850916
cammy

Post by cammy »

Did you leave your frog light on?