Wolseley Engine

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

Wolseley Engine

Post by ashford »

My brother has for sale a circa 1934 Wolseley Nine or Wasp engine. It is complete and probably wouldn't need much to get it running although a full re-build would probably be the most sensible approach. This was a four cylinder ohc version of the Hornet six cylinder ohc. It would be ideal for a special although not vscc eligable yet. He has taken the engine out of a 1932 Wolseley hornet Eustace Watkins. He is now looking for the correct hornet engine and any Eustace Watkins body panels.
The engine is located in Haselmere in Surrey.
chris lambert

Re: Wolseley Engine

Post by chris lambert »

Perhaps a dumb question - Would a Wasp engine drop into/onto a Minor chassis?
Chris
ashford

Post by ashford »

chris,

Im fairly sure it would 'drop in' rather than 'drop on' a minor chassis. The engine is slightly bigger capacity than the minor being either 1018cc / 1069cc but it doesn't have the vertical dynamo which saves some space length wise. I think it should mount straight to a minor gearbox but I've never tried this to be totally certain.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Thank you - food for thought here! The next question is the obvious one, how much?
evosteve

Post by evosteve »

how much for the engine ???
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Chris, I have just taken a look at a Wasp parts list and a manual - the way the engine is mounted seems to be different from a Minor . It does not really look like it is simply an adapted form of the OHC Minor engine but appears to be a different engine with an OHC arrangement.The front mounting seems to be a 'pin' but I cannot see quite how the other mountings work. Presumably Wasps are quite rare now ?
ashford

Post by ashford »

He is looking for around £400. I think the engine ( nine or wasp) is mounted in the chassis just like a wolseley hornet - a bracket on the front cross member and a thin plate where the gearbox bolts to the engine. In other words, similar to the minor engine in principle but unlikely to fit precisely with out some adaptation to the mountings either on the chassis or engine.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Is this engine still available? And can the owner be contacted by e-mail? ic.judd@ntlworld.com if he wants to get in touch.

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

Chris, sounds like you need a cms body for this engine and your chassis :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby,
Unfortunately something will have to go before I can start another project - mind you the sitting room is only used to watch the telly!! :wink:
Chris