Exhaust.....

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

Re: Exhaust.....

Post by Ronald »

MK2 silencer just needs the end cones, much happier with the mk2..... also just spent a good while bending the downpipe...... nearly there, no real kinks YET!! doen to about 70degs so far..... will attack it again another eve!!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Exhaust is now all done, and on the car, i ended up slicing the downpipe and welding it back up to get the right bend in it, finished the silencer, and then hung it on the car in three bits, and tacked the bits together, took it off again and welded it properly.............. i even painted it black!!!!

If i can work out how to, i may post a video of the sound etc...... i'm very happy with it...... :D

chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Ronald,
It looks really good. Do you take commissions, if so how much to supply? :idea:
Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Very funny.... no i don't, besides, i fear that every car would be slightly different, shouldn't be, but i bet they are!!

it took 2 attempts to get the silencer right-ish.... still not perfect, if only i had a rolling machine it would be better..... as it is, i used a big vice, and a scaffold pole to make the curves......LOL!!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ronald,
You are probably right - but they shouldn't be too different. I wasn't trying to be funny - I would expect that you could set up a small cottage industry with just the 'sales' from us forumists! Also looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

you'll have to be patient for the sound of it, mothers taken all the camera batteries to Switzerland, she's back thursday.... so it'll be the weekend before i post it up..!!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ronald,

Looking very good and it will sound great as well :!:

Halbe
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Well done Ronald - it looks just right and assuming it has the baffles in, it should sound right too. Your Dad would be really proud of this work!
Ken
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Hi Ken, yeh, i actually put three sets of offset baffles, they were actually bigger than half the box aswell, if you get what i mean..... it really does sound great, even if i do say so myself..... can't wait to drive the car now, just a little concerned it's getting a tad warm :?: ......
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ronald,

When will she be ready for the road?
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

All i need to do is put the bonnet on, and fit the floor back in, then i can drive it!

:lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Great - get some pics of the first run!

Incidentally, I think you mentioned that you and Heather will be in the US in the run-up to the Rally - do visit VMR HQ if you are anywhere near at hand. You would be most welcome to stay and we would love to show you a few Great Lakes highlights. To date there has only been ONE member who has visited VMR HQ - that was Peter Caldwell from Wisconsin, although Ray McCrary will be up from Nashville to collect the tourer later in the year. By the way, he is planning to ship it to the UK for VMR 2009.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Thanks for the invite Ian, yeh, we will be in the states from june 17th, til july 9th..... we fly in to Denver, and head due West....... therefore a visit won't be do-able..... we may get there one day though!!!!

This yr is my 40th, so i scheduled a couple of days in Moab to get some off roading in, great place, might be a tad warm though!!

the first run might be over the weekend, although i have thos eve noticed oil on the top of the dynamo..... which shouldn't be there what with the seals n all....... ho hum..... never straight forward is it.....
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Hi Ronald
I am very sorry to read about the oil on the dynamo. As far as I am aware the only way to cure this is the take the head off and put the bottom vertical drive housing together properly. Your engine builder is responsible for doing this.
By the way - modern oil seals are not needed to stop oil flowing out of the head above the dynamo. My car has been 'dry' here since 1965 without one. You just need the contemporary Morris mod which involved cutting a oil flow groove. Also make sure that there is a seal between the oil-thrower disc and the top of the yoke which must also fit tightly against it. Fitting modern seals has been good business for the MG engine builders I suppose, but they are not needed.
Ken
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks to Ronald Hogg for initiating this fascinating and informative thread, and thanks to everyone who has contributed to it since March. I have now summarized it into a Tech Topics article for M 131. Future issues of the Magazine will carry additional content from various areas of the Forum so that as much as possible of this good stuff reaches the entire Register membershp and not just the Forumists. It will also act as a good way to promote registration to the Forum.

Keep up the great work everyone! :D