Exhaust.....

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

Re: Exhaust.....

Post by Ronald »

Thanks Mike... a quick google found this!!
http://www.goodsteel.co.uk/contactus.asp
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Further to my earlier bit on silencers I have taken a picture of what I am pretty sure is an original one and have added some measurements showing the internal baffle positions. I have also included a photo of the original Cowley one. I tried to load these but I am having trouble loading pics :oops: . Chris has been a great help and has kindly loaded the for me. He will be loading these sometime on Thursday. If he has time. Thanks for your help Chris.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Thanks Mike, it'd be good to see some internal pictures, as i've just started making the silencer this evening, i was expecting sourcing such small pipe to be an issue these days, however this morning i rang my local motor factors, and hey ho, the smallest pipe they do is..... 32mm.... so i order 2 lengths, 3m long each, at the remarkable price of..wait for it..... £9.75 per length....... :lol:

Watch this space for the making of a system...... all in one piece, i'm gonna make the front pipe, and then weld it straight into the silencer..... no joins should mean no leaks!!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Mike Stubbings emailed me these to me images earlier this week - here they are:

Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Usefull pictures, i was gonna put three pairs of baffles in mine, is there a measurement that shows the length of the straight section of the silencer....??? mine is 15 inches plus cones......
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Your not far out Ron. You can work it out from my drawing if you deduct the end measurements. Glad you managed to find some tube. Mine from Goodmans had a 2mm thick wall. Although metric it is as near as dammit as the equivelant imperial. I found the old imperial type bender worked it without flattening it at all. Good luck
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I'm also gonna cheat with the bending, i intend making lots of small 'V's in the tube, then bending it to suit, and then welding or brazing the cuts up..... it may not be pretty, but it saves the grief of finding someone to do it for me.... it does mean that i can make it fit as near as possible, then tack wled it remove it, and complete the job....>!!
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ron,I have in the past bent tube by packing it hard with sand and then heating it up and bending it. It might be worth a try if you have a spare piece. Mike.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Plenty spare Mike.... i have 6 metres, enough to go right round the car twice...LOL!!!!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I'm now on the mk2 silencer, the first one i made i wasn't happy with, so i started again..... this one is alot neater..... have you ever tried welding along the outside edge of 2 pieces of thinish steel...????

Will post pics when i get round to it.....
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ron, I do not know what thickness of steel you are using but I measured the thickness of two of mine and the metal is 2mm thick on them both Mike.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Mike, the steel i'm using is nothing like that thick, more like 1mm or so...... i tried rolling some thicker steel into the right kind of curve, and with the lack of a rolling machine meant i couldn't get the shape anywhere near right......

I doubt it'll have any effect on the finshed product, it mat sound slightly hollower, but that'll just mean it sounds worn out already which will go well with the rest of the car...LOL!!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

There's a new gas torch from Australia which can weld v.thin material with little distortion and heat damage. it's been heavily featured in the motoring press and there's a website with a demo on it, something along the lines of... welding down under. It was tested and advertised in classic motor monthly and old bike mart, both have websites if anyone wants to track down this bit of kit. :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
1936morriseight

Post by 1936morriseight »

The site is: http://www.welddownunder.com/index.htm

Jeff (1936morriseight)
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I don;t 'do' gas........!!

Mig, arc, or a single carbon brazing attachment for the arc is what i use!