Exhaust.....

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

Exhaust.....

Post by Ronald »

Do Sports and vintage, or anyone else come to that do an off the shelf exhaust for the ohc Minor...... i think the one on the car is so thin the masses of power from the new engine will blow it apart....LOL!!!

Will also need front and rear engine mounts.... although i suspect they will be easier to source.....

Cheers.
chris lambert

Re: Exhaust.....

Post by chris lambert »

Ronald wrote:Do Sports and vintage, or anyone else come to that do an off the shelf exhaust for the ohc Minor...... i think the one on the car is so thin the masses of power from the new engine will blow it apart....LOL!!!

Will also need front and rear engine mounts.... although i suspect they will be easier to source.....

Cheers.
Ronald,
The Sports and Vintage item will only fit the M Type manifold which has a bigger bore than the manifold fitted to the Minor. Does Harry E supply a front pipe for the Minor?
Chris
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I have been needing a new exhaust for a while, the baffles have come loose in the silencer and it makes a terrible rattle!

I can't find any where where I can get the original pattern silencer with the cone shaped ends - I personally think these make a better noise!

Perhaps the VMR could get a batch made up, possibly in stainless, would there be any takers?

Cheers
Jeremy
cammy

Post by cammy »

I purchased a complete system from Harry Edwards a few months back but he told me the man who made it up had died. Obviously it is not fitted as yet so I can measure it up, photograph it etc if that would be of help. Harry's price was £110 plus carriage. I don't think it has cone shaped ends though.
Clive
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Hi

Great idea to get a batch made up. I'm sure there would be many takers. It's the major "wearing" part along with tyres !

Anyone know where we could obtain them ? I feel sure , as someone else has mentioned , that Harry Edwards has run out of them and lost his source too.

If we can batch them I would need at least two !

Tony G
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Oh and yes , I have a "new" cone shaped end one as a pattern !

Tony G
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

I hear you all saying...
... " that's a surprise ! "

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Continuing...

Just done a quick web search and found " Predator Motorsport" of Welwyn Garden City. They do complete sets in stainless steel .. typical price quoted for an Austin 7 [ sorry to keep mentioning these but it's the nearest example ! ] is £294 incl. VAT delivered.

They say you are welcome to visit and discuss requirements.

Who is nearest ?

Tony G

Their website is http://www.predatormotorsports.co.uk
cammy

Post by cammy »

I have visited the Predator site and I think NG would look pretty nifty with a system as per the Orange motor car. What do you say we buy one for VG as well Halbe?
Clive
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Clive,

That will give us so much more power too, lets get some slick tyres too and get all that power on the road. :lol: :lol:

But seriously, stainless steel will change the sound the car makes, I think mild steel sounds better .
That's what happened on my father's MGB

Halbe
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

There is a chap local to me who might do a small batch, he does fancy stuff for racing teams and Ferrari v12's I'll check him out. He only does mild steel but uses thick walled tube so they last a long time anyway. Stainless does change the sound but not that much the MG has one and it still has a great note to it.

As far as the silencer goes, do we know how they are made inside, I think they use baffle plates rather than being straight through with glass fibre type packing. Has anyone taken a look?

The other thing I notices was that at the summer rally some of the cars have very small bore pipes, Ian's Semi Sports was particularly small, DF on the other hand is much larger, do we know what the "right" size is?

One last point - if the Sports and Vintage M type exhaust is right except the front pipe could we approach them as a club to have a different front pipe made by thier supplier to match into the remaining M type system that they already sell, it might be more cost effective.

Cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The Cooke Group is the place to go. I have bought a couple of Bullnose silencers from them - they are the original cone-ended pattern and has 1 1/4" id fittings each end, so you need a 1 1/4" od tailpipe instead of the original 1", which is no biggie. They would probably do the downpipes for us and the tail pipe is trivial. Mine on the Bed-Pan is copper which gives the exhaust a wonderful sound. :D

I'll give them a call.

The next trick will be to source copper asbeston exhaust rings for the manifold fitting. I found some on an old workshop over here. They are not too difficult to find.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Jeremy,

The diameter of VG's exhaust is: 1 1/4 inch ( 32 mm ) outer and slightly less than 1 1/8 inch ( 28.8 mm ) internal .

Here is a picture of my silencer

Is it possible to have the M type silencers changed , so they look like this?

Regards Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The conical silencer on my Semi-sports was obtained from a stall at the MR annual rally a few years ago. The supplier was Gideon Booth from Penrith in Cumbria. Tel. no. 01931 714624. It is of course a pattern item but does look the part. As to whether it sounds correct - who knows? How many totally original cars remain?; particularly those fitted with an original silencer - I would hazard a guess at very few, if any! Most recently renovated cars have a 12/12 cam fitted, which will certainly change the exhaust note as of course will a different material tail pipe and its length. The baffle arrangement in whichever silencer you fit will also be a major factor in the eventual sound emitted. All in all, we can only guess at what the car originally sounded like, but nothing beats the 'bark' from a cammy Minor 'doing it's stuff'!
Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

WOW, i never expected so much discussion, shame there's not an off the shelf system with conical silencer available, i suspect i shall end up making one to be honest, as i'm not too worried about the asthetics of the actual silencer, i can easily make one that will be roughly right, which has always been good enough for the car til now, so it will be good enough again..... i also suspect that i will end up with a gasket on the front flange, instead of a crushable ring.... if the system is not too restrictive, it's hardly likely to blow is it... all i need to do is find a source of 1 1/4 pipe..... and if possible a 90 deg bend for the front...... if i get a day off, i might drive up to Maniflow in Salisbury and see what they can do for me......!!