Unlikely cars that 'Float your Boat'!!

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Unlikely cars that 'Float your Boat'!!

Post by chris lambert »

Whilst I am sure that my 'love affair' with Minors is still in its infancy, it doesn't stop me casting my eye elsewhere occasionally. Somewhere in my soul I have always hankered after a big brash American car that I could take to the local 'Drive in' (if only we had any) and watch a Bogart film and 'stuff'. The 'stuff' I'll leave to my imagination. 'Hanker after' is not the same as 'desire'. There are lots of cars I desire, some vintage, some classic and some modern. My current 'modern' lust is for a canary yellow Lotus Elise (there is no accounting for taste!) and my current classic phobia is a twin cam MGA. As for the American, this is it. It is a 1937 Chrysler Airflow, flat head straight eight. I love it although not the metallic blue paint:

Do you have a 'fantasy' car or a car of your dreams? Money no object.
Chris
Ken Martin

Re: Unlikely cars that 'Float your Boat'!!

Post by Ken Martin »

In the spirit of the title and avoiding the obvious: if I was inclined to take part in VSCC, MCC or any other motoring sport trials, which to date I have not been - having this car in my garage would go a long way to firing me up!
Ken
Attachments
Frazer Nash trials car pic.jpg
Frazer Nash trials car pic.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hmmm, following on from the favourite minor debate and on the basis that I won't be ridiculed... I had a very late morris marina, 1700, auto. :oops: It was a cracking car, I got my first speeding endorsement in it and regularly took moderns by surprise as the lights changed by just hitting the floor and bracing myself as the the front end lifted and the beast screamed away. Despite the seizing trunnions, I still miss it to this day. Is that an unlikely car? I think so as I was ridiculed as an owner of a marina, it wasn't as bad as owning an allegro though... :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

I had a Vauxhall Magnum 2300 estate, which was basically a Viva with a 2300 engine, being an estate version it was slightly lower geared than a saloon and accelerated like sh** off a chromium plated shovel, but I prefer the Minor. :D :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

A friend of mine had something similar, I think it had a 2l in it but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't a viva. We were at a pub once where a hooray henry wanted it moved and asked the entire pub "who owns the viva?" but pronounced it as vorx hall veye var. We all found it v.funny, except my mate who was outraged! I had a couple of mk2 & 3 cortina estates that I have fond memories of and always wanted, but sadly never owned, a sweeney Granada (mk1?)- the closest I got was a later 2.3 and it was under powered and nothing but trouble, taking a dodge of arfur daley proportions to offload it. It did impress the ladies though!... Oh the cars I had, lost and loved. :roll:
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Gosh Marina's, Allegro 's, Cortina's Granda's - what is the world coming to. Ken had the right idea with the Frazer Nash!

I have always looked longingly at 3 litre Bentley's and even more so at 30/98 Vauxhalls, definately a dream probably never to be realised! At a more realistic level an MG TC is a car I have wanted for years and luckily I now have one in the garage!

For those with more modern taste what about a Paramount only ever seen one of those, looks bit like a Jowett Jupiter.

Talking of Jowett's whilst the '8' and Bradford I had as a kid were not very advanced for the late 30's and 40's the Javelin and Jupiter were technically quite amazing.

cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I had a 1949 Javelin once - a lovely car!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have some post war Jowett parts, I will post some photos elsewhere for identification in the future and also to try and find a home for them! Another unlikely, for me, is a 1930s commercial or small coach, I have no idea why! :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby,

It would probably save Forum space if you let us know what you HAVEN'T got stashed away! :D :D :D
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Whilst we've moved from the favourite Morris to our dream car of any make , I think I can now make a confession !

As a small lad , in short trousers , [ not that long ago :lol: ] , I saw an Austin Swallow at a rally and fell in love with it.

" One day I would love to have one of those" I told my Dad , in awe.

And. Guess what !

I've just acquired a two seat open Austin Swallow , for restoration.

Sorry Ian ..... Don't excommunicate me !

Tony G
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Tony,
Congratulations! Well show us a picture!!

Is it the car that has been advertised on the Car and Classic web site?

I also love William Lyons designed products. Did he not design a body for the Minor in the thirties? If he did, has anyone got an image we can see.

Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

My father used to own a SS1 tourer for a long time, very pretty body, great seats/interior on a not very nice chassis!
William Lyons had a great eye for aesthetics .

Halbe
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian

I learnt to drive on a 1949 sand coloured Javelin - reg NPC 94, I think. Great car except for changing the plugs!!, a pity they lost their way with the Jupiter. I was told once that they were working on a flat six when they folded - lack of working capital.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, congrats Tony - it must be a superb car. So you will now be able to play for either side in the Lewis and Nicholson!
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ahh Mmm

I could be a ringer Ian. Anyway , if I entered with the A*****s the Minors would definitely win.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony