What instrument is this?

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

halbe

What instrument is this?

Post by halbe »

Hello everybody,

This instrument was given to me by the late Dudley Gahagan .
There is just one problem.
We both didn't know what it was, and I still don't know :?:
If it is worth anything it might be for sale to increase the funds for VG2007

Regards Halbe
Last edited by halbe on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris lambert

Re: What instrument is this?

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
From what I can quickly uncover on the internet, it looks like these instruments were made post 1899 (year company founded) and prior to 1914. In that year (July) S. Smith & Son changed their name to S. Smith and Son (Motor Accessories) Ltd and that is not the name that appears on these instruments. They were 100% manufactured prior to 1930 as Smiths sold 9,The Strand that year.
There is a brief history of the company here:

http://www.smiths-clocks.co.uk/sm-orign.htm

As the company was founded as clock manufacturers, my guess is that part of the function of both instruments was to tell the time - what else they are supposed to do baffles me!
I suspect to a collector of such things these will be of some value and I suspect that they may have some historical significance also.
Chris
cammy

Post by cammy »

Could they simply be a speedo and trip meter. These would normaly be combined into one instrument but perhaps when these were made nobody had thought of doing so.
Do both instruments share one drive as if they do that would surely answer the question.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting history. To bring it completely up to date, Smiths Aerospace was acquired last May by General Electric and is now part of GE Aviation - manufacturers of a large portion of the world's jet engines. I joined Smiths Aerospace ten years ago, so now work for GE - the largest corporation in the world - not sure if that is a good or bad thing. :D

Small world, Halbe. I knew Dudley very well as he was a regular at the Phoenix. I followed him up the Test Hill at Brooklands once - he in his T35 Bugatti and me in my 1932 SV Minor - we both reached the top! :D
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hi Ian,

That would have been his 37 because he sold the 35 just before the war and after regretting it , he bought the 4 cylinder.
Dudley spent quite some time with the family over the years and is still considered a close friend.
The instrument was beneath a workbench in the old works (rees bros.) When I worked there the works moved to Gordonroad and it was nearly thrown away !
I'm really curious to know what it is and quite sure he would agree if it helps me with getting vg on the road just a little bit quicker.

Halbe
cammy

Post by cammy »

Are the two knobs on the top for zeroing? Are the two hands on the left meter, one to indicate the speed and the other maximum speed attained as on some rev counters? On the right hand meter perhaps one hand is like the minute hand on a clock measuring distance travelled and the other hand like an hour hand moving once the (minute) hand has completed a revolution? Halbe have you tried connecting it to a drive to see what happens or is the mechanism siezed?
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

Halbe

I believe Dudley passed on to you a VERY RARE piece of kit!

It looks just like a Snorbescope!

These were often fitted to type 37 Bugattis durring the Blackout in WWII.

I believe they gave audible and visuale syncronasation oscilations of over 50Htz at upto Mach III at 50 Fathoms and were mainly used to warm of the presence of sidevalve Morris Minors! :lol: :lol:
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Toby

Post by Toby »

Send it to "cats eyes" Lambert and "wiley" Wilkinson, someone at the Beaulieu autojumble in May will know what it's worth and they could sell (or try to) it for you? Even better, come to Beaulieu and punt it round the more exclusive stalls, you could pick up any bits you need (maybe!) for the minor. :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Simon

Post by Simon »

Halbe,

Why not send details to the Science Museum in London, they might be able to help. The Automobile magazine may also be able to help i their finds & discovery section.
halbe

Post by halbe »

If you could help me with the mail addresses of both the science museum and The Automobile ,I'll sent the info to them and ask.
If only i could come to Beaulieu
Thanks again for your help!

This morning (monday) i sent an Email to the science museum, national motor museum and the prewarcar site.
Let's see what they come up with

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
The information you want is as follows:

The address for The Automobile magazine is:

Enthusiast Publishing Ltd.,
PO Box 153,
Cranleigh,
Surrey.
GU6 8ZL

Address any communication for the attention of Michael Worthington-Williams.
I don't have his email address but if you enquire via brenda.hart@btconnect.com she will ensure your enquiry gets to Mr. Worthington-Williams.

Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

The answer came from an item on the http://www.prewarcar.com website!

Thanks everybody, I'll take a cab home?

Halbe