Lucas 135 Driving Mirror Wanted

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Lucas 135 Driving Mirror Wanted

Post by chris lambert »

Wanted - A reasonable or restorable example of the Lucas 135 Driving (or rear view) Mirror as used on the Semi-sports and Tourers. I have searched for 18 months on eBay and elsewhere and have yet to see one, let alone been in a position to bid. Your price paid.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Lucas 135 Driving Mirror Wanted

Post by Ian Grace »

I bought a couple of circular mirrors on eBay a while ago - both from the fifties, I guess. Both were chrome - one had flat glass, the other convex. I painted one and fitted it on the Bed-Pan, and made a replica triangular support for it - see the Dorset photos. I have looked in vain for years for an original mirror - or an original triangular support bracket. These were also fitted on the larger open Morrises.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Chris, I have seen many replicas at Beaulieu, some masquarading as originals, don't know if replica will do or what a 135 looks like. They sell around £35-£80 and I need some mirrors for my minors but can't decide what would look right or work properly so have never got round to parting with my cash. did any have them fitted as original, if so, what style and where?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby,
This is a picture of the mirror in question - image taken from a 32 two seater press photo. Have you seen them like this at Beaulieu?

Toby

Post by Toby »

Not exactly the same, but, the same looking mirror with a different style bracket. You'll have to wait till May! or look at the complete automobilist, woolies, etc websites.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It is surprising that these are so rare, since all the larger open Morrises were fitted with them as well. If they had been fitted to Bentleys, we'd be able to buy accurate replicas - for GBP 400 a copy. :o
cammy

Post by cammy »

Could it be, is it possible, that NG 850 has an orignal bit of kit that is actually of some value or rarity?
See below.
Attachments
DSCF0479.JPG
DSCF0479.JPG (21.51 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
DSCF0477.JPG
DSCF0477.JPG (19.82 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Clive,
Certainly looks very similar to the item in the other photo!
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sorry to disappoint you Clive, but the triangular bracket was only used on the open cars, and was different in design to this one. The saloons had a bar. This is not a Minor mirror, but it does look vintage and looks like it would restore nicely. I'd use it if it were mine, and I didn't have the 'correct' one.