What's wrong with this picture

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

What's wrong with this picture

Post by Ian Grace »

I just received two CD's from Phil Jones today containing hundreds of great 2007 VSCC images. Included is this one. This is VMR, VSCC member and Hereford Vintage Auctions partner Ted Widgery's standard and very original Hundred Pound Minor at Presteigne last October - spectating becuase he cannot enter it - unlike that ugly creation parked on the other side of the road.

"However, any Austin 7 is eligible, only with the latter ones from 1935 onwards, whatever their condition, providing you remove the body with an axe and build some horrid wooden or aluminium effort - then it will be welcomed with open arms; especially if you insert some 'standard' engine of doubtful parentage that will rev with impunity time and again to 9,000 rpm."

The words in quotation marks are not mine, but those of VMR and longstanding VSCC member Mike Hewson, who wrote to me in response to the eligibility peice in M 129. The full text of his letter will appear in M 131.
Attachments
EB 9350.JPG
EB 9350.JPG (85.08 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
halbe

Re: What's wrong with this picture

Post by halbe »

The only other thing wrong in this picture is off course the weather :wink:
What car is on the other side of the road? I can only see the back half

Halbe
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

Ian/Halbe

Car over the road looks to be a 3 Litre Bentley! I'm afraid I'd much rather be driving that on a VSCC event than polishing Teds sidevale Minor! Still each to his own!

Ted's Minor would be 'no good at all' on the Welsh Trial believe me! I've tried a standard Minor on this event, and its beyond the cars capabilities unless you double the engine power and reduce the weight by 50% like the Morris/Jap of Geraint Owen!

Ted's car however would be very suitable for the Welsh Rally held on the Sunday, and with someone like the lovely Annabel navagating could easly be in the prize money, as was Clive HG in 2006!

If the VSCC had accepted sidevalve Minors I wonder how many would have entered VSCC events? Of the cars recently included in the PVT listing a tiny tricle have appeared in the new members listing, but very few in competition.
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Of course, OHC Minors need no such 9,000 rpm modification, as witness this shot of Dorothy blasting off the line with both front wheels off the ground – a Minor wheelie! :D
Attachments
IMG_3918-800.JPG
IMG_3918-800.JPG (93.89 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

:?
Last edited by David Whittle on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well, I saw the speed hump... :D

This is Brian Maeers' Dorthy (the car, not the driver, who is Kate Rooney), and she is undergoing rebuild with Dave Cooksey (Dorothy - not Kate) right now, so should have given up smoking next time we see here out and about.