OU 6930

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

OU 6930

Post by chris lambert »

This Coachbuilt Saloon was built six days earlier than VJ 3156 in October 1930, and was delivered to Wadham Bothers in Southampton, the then Morris main dealer.It has an interesting early history as it was bought as a new car by a serving RAF officer who later went on to become a knight of the realm and an Air Vice Marshal. The full history is recorded as the 'Tailpiece' to VMR Magazine M116. I purchased the car in the summer of 2002 and got it back on the road the following year - after a gap of 48 years. I have had a lot of fun in this car, including numerous trips up the hill at Precott whilst at the two VMR meets we held there. It also took me down the runway at great speed (well 55mph) when I sprinted it at the last VSCC Colerne in 2004.
This great picture by Phil Jones was taken at the 2005 VMR Prescott Rally.

The car had a 'rest' last season but will be back in harness this summer, probably sporting a blue and red roundel, to show off its RAF heritage to those colonials from across the pond, at the summer rally!
chris lambert

Re: OU 6930

Post by chris lambert »

Oscar Uniform has inevitably taken a back seat in recent months following the completion of the rebuild of VJ 3156 started by Brian Ellams 38 years ago. At its last MOT the examiner warned that OU's kingpins would need replacing soon and it was also apparent that the front tyres would also shortly require renewal. And so whilst at Beauliue, new 4.00 X 19 Avon tyres were ordered from Vintage Tyres and the Anglians yesterday assembled in Suffolk to fit the ex Belcher Engineering kingpins. Trevor and Roger did the donkey work whilst their apprentice (me!) made the tea and and acted as dogsbody. The end result has yet to be tested in earnest, but has eliminated any signs of 'play' evident previously.
The next stage in OU's re-habilitation is the fitting of the tyres and the booking of it's MOT. More later.

New Kingpins!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Truly you lot are the kings of kingpins, now I know where to come for fitting! :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I had to take 289 UXG for it MOT yesterday. I am not a machanic but can grease, adjust brakes and check lights etc. Morris passed with flying colours and all the lads came and look whilst on the ramp - it always causes interest. I am off to Aberdeenshire on Sunday if I can get petrol in my F reg XLR3 Ford convertable. Hope to visit some Minor owners in the area. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

If you are going anywhere near Aberlady, you might like to pop in to the Myreton Motor Museum and check out these:
Attachments
2M1817.JPG
2M1817.JPG (375.85 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
TE 8966.JPG
TE 8966.JPG (303.41 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, I was half way to Scotland and did see your enquiry re Aberlady. Aberlady is in golfing country between North Berwick and Muirfield. Our new member in Edinburgh woukld be quite close. Looks interesting. I travelled 1600 miles in my open topped FordXR3 and did not swee one old car.!! Highlander.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

I have owned this car for 6 years this week - the longest I have ever owned a vehicle of any description. It passed its MOT today and was given the usual consideration by my MOT tester. Sadly, whilst listed as a Morris Minor the manufacturer is shown as ROVER - apparently the new computerised VOSA system does not list Morris in that category, and Rover is as close as they can get.
Chris
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Chris,

6 years thats positively ages, I tend to get a car sorted and running well then loose interest and sell it for another project, on average about 3 years. Mind you I am keeping things longer as I get older!

Your MOT man needs to work the computer differently, DF's MOT on the 28th June 2008 says Morris Minor no Rover in sight. The same with the MG which was MOT's in May. I think you need to check this out because if challenged at the road side what would the police make of it - would they accept that your MOT really relates to your car which proudly says Morris on the front and all its identity plates.

Cheers
Jeremy
Toby

Post by Toby »

My mot same as Jeremys, they have to create a one off-using a make on the system is the easy way out! Apparently it also costs DVLA-Simens created the database which is far from perfect but still earns 'em a few bob!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Just to clarify - my certificate states Make: Morris Model: Minor, but as I was watching him fill in his computer screen it required him to complete a 'Manufacturers' box. There is apparently a difference between Make/Model and Manufacturer. Anyway, Morris were definitely not listed as a manufacturer hence the entry for Rover. The name Rover does not appear anywhere on the certificate.
Chris
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Chris,

Sounds ok then was worried that the make box said Rover! At lest the MOT certificate itself is right from our perpective.

I remember a couple of odd instances in the past. An Austin Mini 1976 - listed as a Leyland and a 1986 MG Maestro (ok, ok, someone had to buy them) which was an Austin MG Maestro under the headings manufacturer, make and model.

The boffins at VOSA and DVLA pose us interesting challenges!

Cheers
Jeremy
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

I have no idea if this will work, but I have tried to include a Photobucket link to a short piece of video that was shot at the summer rally. The car is my saloon but driven by Ken Martin. It is seen arriving at the museum early on Saturday morning.
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii21 ... U00046.flv
Chris
Edited to add: Eureka!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Chris, the photobucket works very well. Well worth a look by everyone. Is VJ 3156 your minor? 50 years ago when a very young Police Constable one could be booked for having the tax disc displayed on the wrong nside!!!!! This is why I am a Highlander now! Well done Chris. A. Helmetless Highlander.