Recognising Threads

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Recognising Threads

Post by chris lambert »

I need to obtain from somewhere two nuts to retain my hood frame to the car. I suspect that my brother could make them for me if I could tell him what thread was on the shaft in question. Is there a simple way of recognising threads or is down to lots of knowledge and experiece? Also has anyone a pattern from which they can take a digital image of the nut in question? I would imagine that they are knurled and chromed?
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Recognising Threads

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Chris,

Didn't I give you two new ones in Dorset? I ordered them for you when I got mine. They are domed hex brass Whitworth nuts. I think I have some spares. I'll check tonight.

Are you making some of the knurled nuts which secure the hood in its forks? I have a mangled original, but I think you have one or two chrome ones?
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ian,
I didn't need to manufacture the chromed knurled nuts that secure the hood frame in its rest, as a pair came with the car. I can remember we exchanged emails about the the pivot nuts but I cant remember the outcome. I didn't pick up any from you at the rally?
Chris
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi, Chris
Have a look at http://www.namrick.co.uk They can supply all kinds of nuts and bolts. I have got a tap for producing the nuts that hold the calormeters to the radiator cap, they are cycle/electical thread - the same TPI for all diameters.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Simon,
I missed your response with all the forum activity today - many thanks. I am going to go through my 'nut' box and try and find a thread match, which I will then send to Namrick for them to provide what I want - if of course they stock them. Second alternative is to send the correctly threaded nut to my brother and get him to hand make me a couple.
Thanks again,
Chris