DF9053

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Re: DF9053 - Winter Work

Post by Toby »

It's coming on nicely, if you're ever near Reading and have a few hours...! :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
JeremyE

Re: DF9053

Post by JeremyE »

So after a long time but not a lot of miles DF 9053 is back in my garage.

I have sorted a raft of small issues and added rear indicators. The biggest problem was the dynamo though - not charging at all. So I have taken the radiator off, and the dynamo out. I then got struck down by flu and it seems some three weeks have gone by since I looked at it!

I have all the replacement parts, so next time there is a dry day and I'm not booked by parents or children I'll start to put it all back together again.

Hopefully in time for the Ludlow event if not before.

Cheers Jeremy
JeremyE

Post by JeremyE »

IMG_20240419_164624032_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240419_164624032_HDR.jpg (4.96 MiB) Viewed 28 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Congrats on your re-acquisition, Jeremy!

Looking forward to meeting up again after many years!

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm just having my dynamo rebuilt by Paul Rogers. The keyway at the top gave out, and after removal I found the bottom one was no better, so both ends have been welded and ground back to size and new keyways cut. I'm ordering new sealed bearings.

I'm also changing the top forks, vertical drive pinion and oil seal and the Torringtons. I also want to check the alignment of the dynamo and pinion, as it might have been a misalignment that caused the damage to the top end of the armature. So I'm going to have a pointy mandrel machined up for the hole in the head and if badly out of line, I'll replace the two stepped cylinder head studs with plain ones so I can move the head around a bit.

Hopefully, like you, it will be all back together for Ludlow.