Stub axle & king pins

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Stub axle & king pins

Post by Toby »

As usual, due to lack of service sheets and as the manual says go to a dealer... Just put new backplates on the front of the saloon, put hubs back on to stub axle, how tight should the castellated nut be? I assume just tight, (not just nipped up or done up with an air wrench!) Have reassembled kingpins as I have been advised that a bit of play is normal, not worn out-as i thought!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Stub axle & king pins

Post by Ian Grace »

I've never done these up tight - 'cos you need to get that split pin in there.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Bl**dy hell, that was quick! :lol: I meant that they were tight to the nearest split pin hole, assuming you can't over tighten them like a taper roller bearing. :? Didn't want to fail to meet an exact standard and cause MORE problems!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I don't think you can over-tighten them, because you are only tightening on the inners, so no matter how much you wind the nut up, you are not loading the balls.
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

I agree, the nut needs to be tight as it is clamping the bearings onto the spacer and the stub axle, any movement is going to be a very bad thing!!
cammy

Post by cammy »

Almost a related subject. Is it possible to use cotter pins to secure the king pins if they are purchased from Halfords etc as used for holding pedal cranks on bicycles. I believe British crank cotters are 9.5mm and continental 9 mor even 8.5mm.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Cammy
I think I tried this once and found them to be too short. They can be purchased from Sports & Vintage at Shrewsbury.
cammy

Post by cammy »

Thanks for that Simon. I do have their catalogue so I will peruse same.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Agreed - I have tried the metric cycle cotters but they are too short when tightened, and they are usually made of very soft steel. The correct ones are far better and don't cost the earth.

A note about fitting cotters on early cars with 180 degree front brake cables. The offset on the kingpin pulley post allows the shackled pulley to JUST clear the underside of the axle beam. Because the cotter slot on the kingpin is wider than the cotter pin, there is some leeway on vertical positioning of the kingpin. Before you tighten the cotter, tap the kingpin pin down as far as the cotter will allow - this will ensure that the pulley has the maximum clearance with respect to the axle beam.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Also available from Eddie Wylde at Wyvern!
cammy

Post by cammy »

Poor old NG 850. Not only are there no pulleys evident (Iam not sure how the cables workedbefore I dismantled it) but the back brakes are ROD OPERATED. I assure everyone we do have an OHC Minor even though every part seems to be non standard. You should see how the rotten coach work has been held together with pieces of old barn hinges. 1/4inch steel angle irons made by the village blacksmit I should think. I will also post a picture of the interesting carb.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Fellow Forumists,
I am shortly to undertake the replacement of the kingpins on my saloon. I have enlisted the help of fellow Anglians Trevor W. and Roger L. to ensure it gets done properly. Are there any further idiosyncrasies to this job that we should be aware of?
Chris
PS Not that Trevor and Roger are idiosyncrasies....
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Only two that I can think of - the first was mentioned last week - tap the pins down as far as they will go before tightening the cotters. And second, make sure that the cotter slot is OPPOSITE the pulley post offset! Get either of these wrong, and the shackled pulley will foul the axle beam. Oh, and don't forget to drill out oil holes for the grease nipples in the new bushes once pressed in to the stub axle!

I will be looking into having more kingpins made, as well as SV pulley gear and brackets later in the year. Hands up anyone if you have a need.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I know of someone who's been trying to convert a minor back to pulleys! Probably interested in a set for me too! I have been told that play on kingpins is not only more obvious due to size of wheel but also inevitable and should not be an mot failure unless excessive. Also reaming the bushes is not for the beginner! :shock:
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby,
I am an absolute novice when it comes to reaming - hence the invite to Trevor and Roger to 'help' me. I am hoping to learn something. My MOT man is very sympathetic to our type of cars but said he would want them changed for 'next time' which is what we will do.
Your absence from the forum has been noted and recorded in the attendance book!
Chris