Stub axle & king pins

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Re: Stub axle & king pins

Post by Toby »

bl***dy hell, can't a man go away for a weeks snowboarding every now and then?!!! Nice to know my nonsense has been missed, Will send note excusing me to Ian next time. Good luck, if you 3 hombres are any good at it you could do mine. :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby,
Excuse notes are no good. Please tell us next time you are planning to go away, so that we can plan our raid on Chateau Sears and snaffle all the good bits hidden away under your bench! :mrgreen:
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

I am about to remove and replace my SV King Pins (pulley on top - off-set pulley pivot towards the chassis - cotter chassis side). Any advice? - picked up the fit from top; drive down fully + remember to drill oil holes. Anything else I should take care with before I get the hammer out?

reaming bushes: just to a 'good'/free fit?

John
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

The new King Pin and bushes have arrived and I have removed the King Pin from the drivers side. Currently the 'washer' is positioned above the stub axle+ below the top bush. That looks to make sense so will re-assemble in that position.

Have got a 5/8" parallel, long reamer and a 19/32" --> 21/32" adustable reamer ready - looking for a guide/pilot for the adustable - everything ready but still not sure whether I ream to 5/8" or go 2 Thou over to alow the grease to circulate. Any advice out there? how tight a fit is best for the King Pin/Bush arrangement?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi John,

The thrust washer goes UNDER the axle eye. If you think about it, the weight of the car rests on the axle beam via the road springs, so the eye presses down on the lower stub axle bush.

As for reaming tolerance, I ream step by step with the expanding reamer until the kingpin is a tight push fit - don't make it too loose. The whole thing will wear in during the first few miles. Just make sure that when the new bushes are fitted, that \you drill holes in thru the greaser holes in and that they meet up with the internal grooves. You'll know that grease is getting where it should when you apply the grease gun and it issues from the bushes. Just grease the pin and inside of the bushes before final assembly.

The only problems I have ever had is when I over-reamed and the pin was too loose in the bush, or once when I managed to ream the two bushes OK, but the holes weren't perfectly inline, so I couldn't get the pin through both bushes.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Ian - UNDER it is, you confirmed what I thought originally, but when I checked the Washer was ABOVE on both sides - I then convinced myself that that was sensible; but good job that I checked! - tremendous value this technology enabled Community of Interest/Social Networking bit!
gubben

Post by gubben »

With the thrust washer in place - what tolerance between the swivel and front axle is recommend? I ask because I have to grind the washer to fit - the new ones are a too thick.
Thomas
martinng

Post by martinng »

Regarding clearance, I have 15thou on one side and 20thou on the other. This is a bit much but perhaps not excessive. The advice I was given was to "pack with shims on top of the axle beam till no free play is apparent but no resistance appears when turning the stub axle". So your grinding should acheive no appreciable play and done so as not to disturb the hardening of the washer.
Someone may have a more specific answer, but this empirical solution should work.
Martin