Steering Boxes

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

Steering Boxes

Post by ashford »

I have two worm and wheel boxes that are identical apart from one is cast iron and the other is cast alloy. Both have alloy tops. The steering lever on the cast iron box is much longer than that on the alloy box.

Can any one tell me which steering box is correct for a 1930 chassis and which is better?

Also, does the later Bishop cam steering box have any advantage over the earlier worm and wheel?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Steering Boxes

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi James,

The steel boxes were fitted to later cars and the Wolseley Hornets I believe. They are identical to the ali boxes, but far stronger. I have a steel box fitted to my 1930 Semi-sports. The weight difference is insignificant. You should use the shorter drop arm with the worm and wheel box.

Are you working on your Semi-sports chassis?
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

The Bishop cam boxes have more scope built in them for adjustment than the worm and wheel type, due to the ability to alter the depth of penetration of the peg into the sprial groove. A Morris Eight manual would explain all. However by now there probably wouldn't be much of this scope left to use after all these years. The correct turning circle for these boxes is I think based on the use of a different (longer) drop arm compared to the worm and wheel type (as Ian says).
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

It could be that the alloy box is M type, they have a steering arm thats bent more than the Minor to allow for the slightly lower suspension, so it ends up a little shorter. I use a steel box - apart from being stronger they seem to fit better.

Ian J.
ashford

Post by ashford »

Many thanks for everyones postings on this topic. I am trying to decide which steering box to use on my semi sports chassis and which would be best for my riley engined racer.
If my first attempt at posting an image works there should be one attached with this posting. The picture shows the three boxes. On the left is the 1934 Bishops cam and the other two are the worm and wheels. The iron worm and wheel has a slightly longer steering arm than the bishops cam. The alloy box has a kinked short steering arm as Ian decribed so is it m-type?

It sounds from the comments so far that for the semi sports, I should use the alloy box if I go for originality or the iron box worm if I want strength. But which steering drom arm is correct? if any?

I note from morris information manual that the bishop cam was a lower geared box.
The racer project has lowered suspension so I may well need a shorter steering arm although today I have found a non minor mystery steering box that fits the minor bracket but will sit much higher up in the chassis so will allow a longer steering arm.
I will probably have to experiment a little before deciding.
Attachments
steering.jpg
steering.jpg (135.55 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You must use the short s-shaped arm on the worm and wheel box on your Semi-sports. This is the standard Minor drop arm. The choice of steel or ali box is yours. As you say, steel for strength, ali for originality, but having said that, I've never seen a broken ali box!