1931 Minor Tourer on eBay end 11th Feb 08

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

1931 Minor Tourer on eBay end 11th Feb 08

Post by chris lambert »

This lovely two seater tourer is attracting lots of bids and ends 11th Feb.
Full description here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRIS-MINOR-TWO- ... dZViewItem

Chris
Toby

Re: 1931 Minor Tourer on eBay end 11th Feb 08

Post by Toby »

This looks lovely, and pretty right for the year. Any guesses at the "right money"?! whoever gets it will have a very usable car. It'd be nice to see it alongside mine although I wish my weather equipment was as good nick.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A quick check of the shiny new Master Chassis Register shows the owner to be A (Anthony?) Downing in Alphingstone, Devon. I'll call him to ask for the chassis number and ask him to connect us with the new owner.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm sending a sample Magazine and a Membership Form to Tony, with a letter asking him to pass them on to the new owner. Sneaky! :D
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby,
Decent two seater Minors (of either camshaft arrangement) are now fetching around the £6K mark and so my guess is that this will go for something in the range of £5.8 to £6.2K. Do I win anything if I get close?
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It's interesting how many people bid for Minors on eBay, but cars advertised through conventional means lay unsold for a year or two. Mike Hobday's timepiece fabric saloon is a perfect example. You won't find a more original Minor anywhere, but it remains unsold after over a year. And the price is very reasonable for what you get. This is another car which is crying out to for a good home.

It is difficult therefore to know whether there is or is not demand for our cars.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Having followed the fortunes of perhaps eight or ten Minors on eBay last year, the chances of a sale seem greatly enhanced if an open car is being auctioned (with a sensible reserve). The 'Last Tourer' only sold after the reserve was dropped to £5.5K. Side valve saloons fared particularly badly although I can't recollect an OHC Saloon coming up for auction on eBay in the last 12 months.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

I have just noticed that the vendor has 'pulled' his item and the car is no longer available to bid on!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting. I just tried to call him, but his 'phone is switched off. It does say reluctant sale - so perhaps he decided to keep it or found a purchaser outside eBay. I'll keep trying to call him.
Toby

Post by Toby »

If it had stayed on I'd have said it looked like it was worth every penny of 6k, in future we should have a sweepstake on these ebay minors! Ian, if he does keep it, it might be because he's discovered the vmr;- maybe we are what he was missing!!! :lol: I am considering ebaying the cms body so I can dig out the next project to sell! :shock:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

According to my info, he also has a Minor saloon. I'll try to call him again later today.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Re the e.bay 2 seater - If this is the car I think it is an article appeared in the Morris Journal not too long ago about its participation in the Queen Mothers Parade on Horseguards on her 100th Birthday. I wrote to Tony re Radiators and got a very nice hand written reply. Just where do we sell our cars these days? The Morris Register is a dead loss. The Automobile take far too long for the advert to come out so e.bay seems the modern way. My Minor looks as good as Tonys and I only paid £4000 - was I lucky? I was the only one who responded!! The next warm day I will be fitting the 4 blade fan.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I guess it all comes down to whether you want it. When i tracked down PJ, for sentimental reasons, I was faced with a dilemma-how much was i willing to pay? It had little to do with market value and they are all unique anyway, what does an engine rebuild add for example, do you want a slightly used look or do you prefer spotless, do you want it bang on original spec? If it's what you want then it's worth what you are willing to pay!!! I still await interest in the cms and I would like to shift a lot of other projects, I'll never have time to do it all so should pass them on but is there too few people left who want projects? I find that all minor spares in the MR newsletter are always sold when i ring for them so may test your theory about the MR!ebay can be very random.