The VMR Magazine

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Re: The VMR Magazine

Post by Toby »

Being a dullard, I've lost track of how to access the members area and feel left out! Ian, please send me the keys!!! :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Check your e-mail! :D
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, I will promise you two new members (both 2 seater sv) if you just guide me alone as I do not have a clue what you are all talking about. I would like to get with it but find it very hard. Is there another motoring club in the world where we hang on every word re holes in the drive, butterflies in January as well as king pins!!!! Please keep up the good work, Alister.
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

I have just been unable to enter the Members Area. When I click on 'Member's Area' a box and background immediately :| appears to tell me that I have used the wrong password, even though I haven't been given the option of entering one. Is this just me or has anyone else had trouble today?
halbe

Post by halbe »

No problems here

Halbe
The Netherlands
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ken,

I have had this query twice today from others. The problem, and the solution is detailed elsewhere on the Forum, but here it is again. The problem is a known bug in Microsoft Internet Explorer 7. The solution is to download Firefox and use that as your web browser.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/launch/?ut ... PAod92hJaA
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ken,
If you don't want to change your web browsing software, follow the instructions below.

At the same time that the message box, to which you refer appears, so does a 'white toolbar' that shows a small blue shield at its left hand end. Part of the message reads" If you trust this website......." Click there and a further message box appears which gives you an option to temporarily allow scripted windows, click on that and then try to enter the members area again and all should be well.
Chris
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Thanks Ian and Chris. I decided to use Chris's method and it worked OK.
Now I need to ask - please how do I download the Mag? I thought I would be able to work this out but failed. I viewed it briefly on line but I intend to keep the PDF files on a CD as I evidently won't be getting any more CDs from you Ian - quite understandable. Like Chris I prefer to read a hard copy.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Downloading or saving PDF files.
Ken,
Select, or go to the page you wish to download.Then click on the second icon in from the left on the PDF toolbar (floppy disc symbol) and it will open up box showing the file name you have just selected. You will be asked to select a location from a list in which you require the file to 'sit'. I always choose 'My Received Files' and then click the 'save' button. The file in question will then be saved there.
After all the pages have been saved, open up a new folder and place them in there - naming it as appropriate.
When printing these pages (you can of course print directly from the PDF) remember to set your printer to double sided printing where appropriate, otherwise you will get lots of single sided sheets which are nowhere as satisfying to read as a double sided spread.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks for reminding me about method B Chris!

Ken, hope you like the electric version of the Magazine. And now the value of your CD collection will go through the roof! I expect to see a flood of them on eBay in years to come as members make a killing! :D
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Chris
To clarify my earlier plea - I can download the Mag for viewing on screen, but I can't see how to download it into my PC (My Docs).
I regret that I couldn't follow your instructions due prehaps to having a different tool bar. When I click on the second icon from the left (which could be a floopy disc but I am not sure) I get a box entitled 'Welcome to Start Meeting' - 'Start Meeting with Acrobat Connect' (to proceed I evidently need to purchase more sofware). Any further advice would be greatly appreciated! The help facility seems to have nothing much of any use about downloading files.

Ian - yes I liked what I saw of the Mag on line with very good reproduction of pictures, but I will still enjoy reading and saving a hard copy! I will have to tell my children that the VMR CDs are likely to make them rich!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ken,
Do you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your p.c., and if so what version?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

If the file opens in your browser, there should be an Acrobat toolbar, and the top left of the toolbar should have a floopy disk icon and "Save a Copy" beside it. Does this help?

Ian
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Chris and Ian
You are very patient!
I have Adobe Reader 8 installed but it is not obvious whether or not this is what is used to view the Mag on screen. My home page is Google and this tool bar remains above the VMR site pages at all times.
The Mag sections open up very quickly but there is no Adobe symbol on screen in the frame below the Google tool bar.
In this page frame -
From top left across the first icons are - printer - Adobe Connect - left/right arrows
From top left down the first icons are - pages - binoculars and ? (help)
Perhaps I will have to call in some local help!
Ken
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ken,
The key to this is selecting the correct symbol on the toolbar that frames the magazine image you want to download. You can check if you have selected the right icon by 'hovering' the curser over each symbol. As you do this a small dialog box appears informing you exactly what action you will be taking by clicking upon these icons. When you read "Click to save this file to another location" you will know you have selected the correct one.
Click upon the icon and a box appears "Save a copy....." (or at least it does in my version of Vista - it may be different with earlier operating software?)
Inside the box will appear a series of 'locations'. Select (by highlighting) "My received files". Click upon 'open' and then save. The file will then have been saved to that location on your computer. You can change where you want to store it later.
Repeat this exercise for each of the PDF files that make up the pages of the magazine - uhnfortunately one of these pages is corrupt and you won't be able to save it. I am sure Ian will put that right soon.
Chris