The Non Minor related thread

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

The National Stud

Post by chris lambert »

The Anglians had a day out in Newmarket on Saturday to visit the National Stud. The official tour provided a fascinating insight into the breeding of thoroughbread race horses. The Stallion stables were visited where the occupants are expected to perform to a timetable. Cockney Rebel was booked for four such stints over the course of Saturday, although they are however allowed 'a quiet time' to recover from their efforts. There are perhaps 10 such stallions 'working' throughout the day and the mares are 'bussed' in, their vehicles lined up in an orderley queue outside. Not a lot of romance involved in the whole procedure!
The outcome of all this activity was evident in most of the paddocks, where very recently arrived foals produced lots of oohs and arghs.

Photograph taken by Norma Lambert
chris lambert

Easter Sunday - Suffolk UK

Post by chris lambert »

March is going out like a lion in this part of the world:

Chris
Toby

Re: The Non Minor related thread

Post by Toby »

Blimey! Sleet in Reading but glorious sun (but cold) in the Lymington area, can't wait to start the New Forest chapter!!! :lol:
Any takers for the previously suggested Hants/Dorset spring/autumn meets when we move?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Will Grace
Site Admin

Post by Will Grace »

So I just spent the the winter in America driving a MX-5 soft top... I decided after getting stuck in feet of snow it was time to get serious about this weather. So... I got me a new car!... Just in time for summer... As the MX-5 is off the road to get a new soft top and a turbo. I think I could park a Minor in the back of it. I have included a pic of it parked outside my apartment. Its the big red RAV4

Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Will,
How come students in the 21st century can afford modern cars - back in pre history when I was a student we had to hock everything just to eat, and they hadn't invented pasta then!!
Chris
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The view over Mike Stubbing's back garden (near Ascot - in the soft south! :D ) earlier today. Oh, and Happy Birthday Mike!!

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Well done Mike!! Yes the soft South East had quire a fall of snow this morning - at least 6" in Surrey. I had hoped to do to Brooklands to a VCC meeting but my Veteran Car pals came in modern cars so I gave it a miss. It is now 3pm and the sun is shining!!! Should 6" of snow stop us? Discus. Highlander.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

You should carry on! I took the TC out on a 300 mile jaunt, the first 75 miles looked like this!

Cheers
Jeremy
Attachments
Snow 2 April 2008 TC.jpg
Snow 2 April 2008 TC.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
Toby

Post by Toby »

Back around the late 70s early 80s there was a lot of snow, around new year I think, and the country ground to a halt. We made it back from the coast to Reading in a '47 Rover P3 "60"! I also got an old Marina up into the car park of my local, a feat that no-one in a modern managed! God bless rear wheel drive? I think it's all about technique, everyone seems to have been brainwashed into thinking that they have to drive very, very, very slowly in snow, preferably with as many fog lights on as possible, or they'll be hideously maimed:- it's no wonder these modern cars get stuck! When we were in Shetland it snowed and people just got on with their life (like the "old" days) rant, rant, rant! :evil: Anyway Alister, being a Highlander, surely you'd be used to coping with snow? (unlike us softy southerners):D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Toby, Quite right - I should have gone but her indoors put her foot down!!! I did play golf this morning with red balls - no answer to that! Tonight cold and frosty but the snow is all away so back to minoring tomorrow. Alister (Highlander)
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Back in the 50s when I played football (goalkeeper) five of our team from Bracknell travelled to Reading in
in my old 34Hillman tourer with the hood down, the snow lay about 8inch deep all round. We got there without any problems won the match and travelled home without any problems. That car was great in the snow.In 1962 I travelled from Bracknell to Wellington College in Crowthorne to work, starting work at 7.30am daily. 3 of us from Bracknell travelled in a friends 47 Rover and were never late. Mind you after the first week there were ruts frozen in the snow so you could hardly slide off the road. Worst snow I ever saw in the south was in 1947. They cleared the roads and piled it on the meadows beside the Thames at Henley, some of the piles were still there by June. I think having driven in the snow in the fifties and recently, I would rather it be then. The gearing and larger wheels made it much easier in my opinion. Regarding the recent flurry last Sunday I had been out driving before I took the earlier picture. Best vehicles I have driven in snow, my 34 Hillman tourer, my Morris Minor Van with town and country tyres on rear and a couple cwt just in rear. 47 Rover, my Renault traffic van. Worst 54Hillman, Mk 3 Cortina and Toyota Hiace. Mike.
chris lambert

Humphrey Lyttleton (1921 - 2008)

Post by chris lambert »

I have just heard the very sad news of Humph's passing. He has been making me laugh since the seventies when he first appeared in 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue'. He will be greatly missed in this neck of the woods. Fortunately the BBC CD's of the show will continue to get played on car journeys of any length by this fan. R.I.P. Humph.
Chris
cammy

Post by cammy »

MORNINGTON CRESCENT
Cammy
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Chris

Likewise !

I can hear " Bad penny blues " this very minute . Great musician !

Tony G
chris lambert

Humph

Post by chris lambert »

I saw Humph and his Jazz Band just a few years ago in High Wycombe - he was touring with Bill Whyman's Rythm Kings. Between numbers he had the audience in stitches. I can also recall first hearing the 'Mornington Crescent' round on ISIHAC and was mystified for a couple of epsisodes before the penny eventually dropped!! I think what I will miss most of all are his introductory monologues about the towns and populace of the places they visited - Oh, and his 'Samantha' intro's, how he got away with some of the innuendo, and on the Beeb, I just don't know.
Chris