The most desirable Minor.

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The most desirable Minor.

Post by Ian Grace »

If we are allowed to include the M Type, the 1930 fabric 2-seater is a seriously good looking car:
Attachments
SV 8647.JPG
SV 8647.JPG (384.18 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ian,
Sorry M Types specificaly excluded! Although I have always wanted one and they are very pretty cars, they are just not Minors. They are after all, just a very attractive cousin.
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

Ian Grace wrote:Good grief, Tony, this was the pic that inspired me too! I lost my copy of this book years ago. It is a superb cover photo. And the book is great, too. I believe it has an appendix giving advice on how to fire up an old car which has been found in a barn?

I have no record of this car, and it doesn't appear on Gren's list either. But we wil find it sooner or later!

In the VSCC version it was 'how to set fire to an old car found in a barn' (if it was a sidevalve one)! :lol:
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I know of countless wartime wooden aircraft which were burned on Guy Fawkes nights in the fifties and sixties. I wonder how many ash-framed cars met the same fate?
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I have a copy ofthat book, bought new in 1979 when I was 12, and yes its a great book its even got a McEvoy picture on page 183 (1932 TJ1876). The cover car is attributed to one Colin Gosney.

I have to also agree over the radiator design, and the McEvoy tourer body.

It does seem like agreement, but just so its not completely finalised I would still rather the ohc engine!

cheers
Jeremy
Toby

Post by Toby »

Can't decide on colour, I've always seemed to own brgreen cars, painted houses brunswick green and wear green shirts. However, that 32 minor on the cover looks quite tasty in that red and my second fave colour is maroon, it looks right for the era. Recently I've taken a shine to that very deep blue too! With this in mind, I reckon my choice to be 32 tourer but not green! :D The good news is that I have the 34 tourer to restore so I can have the right colour but on another car!!! :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

I think that I have to go with the flow on this one. The '32 2 seat tourer is certainly a very attractive car, I would settle for a red one. In the meantime I will happily soldier on with my '34 2 seat tourer, in maroon. :D : :lol:
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I do not go along with all this change of colour. I do not understand why you guys go to so much trouble getting all original parts, go to great lengths matching number of stitches per inch when remaking hoods and seats etc and then paint the car a different colour to original! But this nis what makes the club go round. Happy motoring, Alister.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The good book tells us that '32 2-seaters should be blue, green or black (but customers could specify any other colour they liked for a fee).

Coincidentally, these photos arrived by snail mail today - both owned in the past by George Bryne. TSL 642 went to Spain. Whereabouts of OD 263 unknown. Two tidy looking Minors, and both fitted with Hartfords. The red mesh on the '33 rad is interesting.
Attachments
TSL 642.JPG
TSL 642.JPG (349.93 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
OD 263.JPG
OD 263.JPG (341.74 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Toby

Post by Toby »

I've gone off the red, with that brown hood-even though my green one has a brown hood. I'll settle for the dark blue, with a black hood. If my wife (or any benefactors) is reading this, put it on my xmas list, please. This is an excellent thread and I hope Ian will archive it, you see whenever my Dad dragged another lost cause/money pit into the garage my Mum would say "what on earth do you need another old wreck for?" Dad got out of this by saying "he'd always wanted one of those".
I put it to the jury that this thread stands as evidence of "always wanting one" should the need arise. I certainly make a point of saying to Mrs Toby, regularly, "I've always wanted one of those" whether it's a car, bike, van, lawnmower or tool:- Best to be on the safe side.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Reminds me of Bev Hicks when he built his latest Flatnose special. He called it the Horum Special. When I asked why it was so named, he described his wife's reaction to it when he brought it home. "What do you want with that Heap Of Rusty Old Metal?"...