Uploading Attachments

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Uploading Attachments

Post by chris lambert »

Ken Martin has discovered or uncovered another way of uploading documents and images to the forum. When making a new post (and NOT when simply browsing) three small tabs appear in the bottom left hand corner of the page.The middle of these three is 'Upload Attachment'. Scroll down the page and click on the 'Upload Attachment' tap. This tab reveals a 'Browse' button which enables you to browse the files stored on your computer. Select the file or image to be uploaded and click the 'Add a file' button. The file name will appear in the 'Filename' box indicating that it is ready to be uploaded. Finish you post in the normal way and click 'Submit'. Your post and attachment will appear on the Forum. Thanks to Ken for pointing out to us, more experienced and inattenive, Forum users just what the forum can do. Oh, I have just noticed the 'Poll' button-maybe we can hold our own primaries. (Trevor - I know there's a joke or two there!!)

Ian, by uploading files in this manner are we using up your web space? If so, I will continue to upload via Photobucket.
Chris
Last edited by chris lambert on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Uploading Attachments

Post by Ian Grace »

I just ftp’d the entire contents of the Forum onto my office PC and ran a search for a file named firetender1.JPG. Nothing found. However, this file may be buried in the file that includes the post – it has to be stored somewhere! Another way to find out would be to attach a file, ftp the entire forum contents a second time and then compare total forum file sizes. I’d have to do this in the dead of (UK) night, so that no new posts would get in the way. And I would have to run a second experiment, posting a similar post but without the attachment, so as to not compensate for the size of the post itself! My PC tells me that the forum is currently at 356,352 bytes. But perhaps it would be quicker and simpler to fire off an e-mail to Tech Support and ask their advice!

One good thing about getting away from Photobucket would be that I could then see the images on my office PC. The GE PC Police lock us out of the Photobucket site, so any images linked to Photobucket just show as red crosses when I access the forum from my office. However, I can see Tony's attache dimages.

Once sorted, I will place an Announcement post on the forum (and another on the EMS forum) clearly detailing the various methods of uploading images. Image upload certainly enhances the forums no end. Keep them coming! :D
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

I have tried this out but the file was rejected as being too large at 333KB. the maximum file size allowed is 256KB
cammy

Post by cammy »

So did I. How do you reduce the size yet keep the picture. I suppose its something to do with pixels per sq.cm or something.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Most image packages have a re-size function, this will reduce the physical size of the image file if it were printed without any scalling. This may also reduce the density of pixels and thus reduce the abaility to zoom into the picture and retain quality. For the forum this is fine perhaps if people want a large image then this could be sent by email.

cheers
Jeremy