NG 850

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

cammy

Re: NG 850

Post by cammy »

The rear wings are the best bit --but I do like a challenge.
cammy

Post by cammy »

At least NG is consistent.
The roof timbers are just as rotten as the base timbers.
Attachments
DSCF0467.JPG
DSCF0467.JPG (24.37 KiB) Viewed 3934 times
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Clive,
You are a brave man!

This is quite a project, having had cars like this in the past I fully understand the problems you will have, not easy!

I remember trailering a Jowett 8 from Somerset and another Jowett Bradford from near Brecon, some mates saw me the next week and passed back a bag of bits that had fallen off! They stopped to pick them up somehow knowing that they were mine! The "8" was litterally held together with string, we wrapped it round the car complete in an attempt to hold it together and the Bradford came off the trailer in two bits, the chassis litterally rolled out from underneath the body! The Jowett 8 was put back on the road with a home made body but the Bradford became a spares supply!

cheers
Jeremy
cammy

Post by cammy »

Jeremy, thanks for the sympathy if that is the right word. I could have purchased the body for sale in Cumbria but the way I see it is that it would just mean one less body surviving. If I can construct a new body even saving just a few bits from the old one at least we might have one more minor on the road. I will collect the wings soon as our visas for Wales have come through.
All the Best NG
cammy

Post by cammy »

Returning to the discussion on piston sizes-I have cleaned the grunge from a couple of pistons and they have +40 stamped on them plus the letter R if that means anything.
Cammy
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Morris evidently used the letters A, B, X and Z in the markings on pistons to indicate tolerances, but I cannot find a mention of the letter 'R'.
Ken
cammy

Post by cammy »

They also have made in England stamped plus FRONT so perhaps they are not Morris but MG or even (as usual on NG) something entirely different!
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

I believe the letter code on the pistons would only have been used in production and not on subsequent rebores where a standard oversize piston would have been supplied
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Could R mean Rear? A lot of pistons had FRONT stamped on them - just a thought. I am off the Paris for a few days golf against The Royal Automobile De France. Bon Soir. Alister (Highlander.)
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Or could R mean right, depending on where on the piston it is.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a thought. Peter Plant had a saloon body for sale a while back, and may well still have it. He had had the timbers fully restored. Might this be a better way to go?
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

The Cumbria body is also available from Tony Payne and that is in good nick too.

It's a brave restorer that tackles a body in the condition of NG

Tony G
cammy

Post by cammy »

When we met Chris and Norma for a beer a couple of Sundays ago we were able to investigate how a Minor Saloon floor went together.
This inspired me to put saw to wood and I have now got a floor board kit which fits together with the two bits of the original body I have been able to save (shown in black)
Attachments
Board Meeting
Board Meeting
NG Floor Boards.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 3722 times