NG 850

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

cammy

Re: NG 850

Post by cammy »

To P or not to P? Chris you say that all OHC bodies had a number starting MP. Does this mean that our good friend Halbe is an imposter? He only has an M and no P but as we all are enviously aware VG is the epitome of originality whereas NG seems to be a right pigs ear collection of non related parts. Perhaps your crash theory is correct Chris and I am wondering if NG was owned and even built by a Norfolk scrap dealer.

N.B. This continues as a new thread in General Discussions
cammy

Post by cammy »

Now the numbers discussion has moved elesewhere I can get back to investigating metal matters. The picture of the stack of metal bodies gives a real clue as to construction as does the picture below.
Clive
Attachments
Cumbria body.jpg
Cumbria body.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Don't forget this is a SV body - so the overall geometry is very different. Howevr, the floor area is very similar to the OHC.
cammy

Post by cammy »

Ian, A little clarification please. I know at one time there was thinking that there was no difference between the metal and fabric covered coach work- now disproved but I wasn't aware we thought that SV and OHC bodies were different as you state. NG's body number begins SV which we think might indicate Side Valve and you stated that our chassis is OHC and we know an OHC engine (of sorts) fits. Chris has proposed the rotten body we have may have been a replacement of course. I am not sure what I should be rebuilding or shall I just make it up as I go along?
C(onfused)live
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Hi

I think Ian is just stating that the SV body in the picture is a later one with the doors hinged at the front - unlike the doors on OHC and early SV !

OK !

Tony G
cammy

Post by cammy »

Tony, thanks for that. I haven't been out to the workshop today but I bet i will find that NG has one door hinged at the front and the other at the back or quite possibly both have been hinged in both ways or even at the top and bottom!!!
I see from the photo on page 2 that in the latest incarnation the doors were front hinged on NG
Clive
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Clive

If your doors are hinged at the front it definitely should be a SV car !! [ If it's SWB that is ]

Should you want to restore the car with that type of body then the actual body on the photo on this page is for sale , a Tony Payne has bought the whole caboodle and is wanting to part with some of the bigger bits !!

It might save you a lot of work as the body is apparently very good.

Cheers

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, the SV body is quite a bit different. Apart from the doors, the SV had a slinding head instead of a folding head, and the scuttle dash was made much broader when the fuel tank was sent to the back. The 1931 season SV saloons had the same body as the OHC, but from July 1931 on the bodies were quite different. I also seem to recall they were slightly wider. Then the 1934 season saloon bodies were probably different again when the later wings came in? If so, does that mean that the LWB OHC and SV saloon bodies also differ?

Does anyone have any contact details for Tony Payne? Should I remove the ad?
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

Tony Payne knows about you and the VMR and keeps telling me that he will be joining.

In the interim I should take the ad off the site and await his further developments re selling the bits he does not want.

Cheers

Tony
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Will do Tony - thanks.
cammy

Post by cammy »

Now look her fellahs, all this talk of needle sizes is a bit baffling to us simple folk in NG Land. Heres a few pictures of the carb off NG and I can see it is not an SU but does it have needles?
Attachments
DSCF0474.JPG
DSCF0474.JPG (13.85 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
DSCF0473.JPG
DSCF0473.JPG (15.92 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
DSCF0472.JPG
DSCF0472.JPG (11.49 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Chris,

It looks like an Amal carburettor to me.
Ask Freddie Dixon for advice on the settings for your minor :D

Regards Halbe
cammy

Post by cammy »

Hi Halbe, It certainly is an Amal or so it says on the cap.
Clive
cammy

Post by cammy »

Now Halbe, I am sorry to hear you have a little rust on VG chassis. NG of course is almost rust free apart from a little bit on the rear wing. I think some red lead should solve the problem. The inner wing is perfect as you can see below and a piece of tape should hold it all together I think.
Attachments
DSCF0514.JPG
DSCF0514.JPG (27.94 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
DSCF0512.JPG
DSCF0512.JPG (24.44 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Clive

I can only consider myself very lucky when i see your rear wings .
How is the rest coming along?
I really hope it is in a better state than your rear wings :!:

regards Halbe