New Year's Day pub meets

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

New Year's Day pub meets

Post by Ian Grace »

Thought I'd start a thread for these, so anyone going to one can post their intentions here. That way, members might have more chance of meeting up.

Jayne and I are planning to be at the lunchtime meet at the New Inn at Pembridge, just west of Leominster. Local M Type owner David Hinds will be there. We'll be taking the fabric saloon. If Anyone would like to join us?
SV_Minor

Re: New Year's Day pub meets

Post by SV_Minor »

I should be at the New Inn meeting on NYD, weather permitting. I was there for this year's NYD. Get there early, the cars soon fill the area.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

VSCC New Year's Day pub meets. Take tour pick! If you know of any other meets, please post details here.

Berwickshire. The New Year’s Day, plus One pub meet will take place on Monday, 2nd January 2023 at
the Blue Bell Inn at Crookham, TD12 4SH, a few miles south of Coldstream on the A697, commencing at
noon. As on previous occasions, a special lunch menu will be provided and those who have attended in
previous years will remember the fabulous cuisine provide by Keith Elstob and his staff on that occasion.
I am waiting for Keith to let me have the meal prices for 2023, but I hope they will remain of the order of
£15.00 for two courses – a starter and a main - and £18.50 for three courses. I will circulate details of the
menu before Christmas. Those wanting to pre-book lunch on the day should contact Keith on 01890 820
789 or by email on info@bluebellcrookham.co.uk to make their arrangements. Lunch bookings taken on
the day will be dealt with in the order they are received. As in previous years, there will be the usual
prizes for the oldest car driven to the event, the VSCC eligible car driven the furthest to the event and
the VSCC Quiz, hopefully devised again by Frank Higgins to baffle our brains. However, the gathering will
be very informal, as usual, with plenty of time for chat and drinking just south of the Border! For any
further details, please contact Alisdaire on alisdaire.lockhart@vscc.co.uk.

Cheshire/Shropshire Noggin. Our New Year’s Day Lunch will be held at The White Lion, Audlem Road,
Hankelow, Crewe, CW3 OJA, tel 01270 432606 www.thewhitelionhankelow.co.uk Recently refurbished
to the highest standards after a six-year closure. The White Lion stands in a prominent position in this
beautiful village, so find the village and you’re sure to find the pub! Come along and join us for hot
drinks, including mulled wine from 11.00am, and lunch served from 12 noon. Table reservations
recommended. For more information call Dave Moroney on 07773 408962 or Bob Bunn on 01270
New Forest, Hampshire/Dorset. The New Year’s Day gathering will take place again at The White Buck at
Burley BH24 4AZ in the New Forest just as it has been for the last 30+ years!! Arrive at any time from
10.00am. Hot beverages and bacon rolls will await you. If you wish to stay for lunch, then it is essential to
book a table directly with the hotel. See their website for details. VSCC contact for this event is Mike
Wheadon on 01202 882188 or 07817 855827.

Hertfordshire / Cambridgeshire. There will be no NYD meeting at The British Queen in High Street,
Meldreth, Cambs. this year but they will, instead, have their regular 'First Monday' meet on the following
day - Monday 2 January 2023 at midday. The regular 'First Monday' lunchtime meetings at this
welcoming pub will continue during the New Year. Please email David Smith for further information
vintage.smith.bean@gmail.com

Herefordshire. 43rd Annual New Year’s Day Jolly returns to The Royal Oak Inn, Much Marcle, Ledbury
HR8 2ND hosted by owner Hannah Slade. Hopefully the same great turnout as last year - about 600 to
800 folk was the norm with 120/150 pre-war cars of many makes. Gather from about 10.30am to enjoy a
bacon bap wishing each other a Happy New Year. All enter the Knights Cider Self Judge Concours: judges
to include everyone who wishes to vote for “the car he or she would most like to take home other than
their own” with special prizes, and the traditional Landlord’s Distance Award. There will be a hot food
lunch offering. Soup /rolls, mulled wine and cider, real ale, tea / coffee available all day, together with
the normal warming beverages in the large function room. New enthusiasts are always welcome. Only
pre-war vehicles in the large tarmac dedicated car park please. Disabled and 4x4s in the attached
paddock, plenty of parking on the verges. (all wheels off road please). Just turn up, interesting pre-war
autojumble welcome - you can contact Mark Garfitt on 01981 541133 or Royal Oak Inn on 01531
660300, 07825 346627 or email halozltd@gmail.com

North Herefordshire. There will be a midday meeting at THE NEW INN PEMBRIDGE (HR6 9DT) Grid ref.
Landranger 148 390581. In recent years this meeting has grown in popularity gathering round the
medieval market hall and round the bars in the dating back to the 14th Century. A good range of ales,
cider and food will be available. Contact David Hinds on 01568 614572 for further information.
Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. The New Year's Day Lunchtime Meeting will take place this year at
The Royal Oak, Scopwick. As the landlady has asked for a rough idea of the numbers, could you please let
Mike Hewson (01526 388680) or Ray Edge (jrayedge@gmail.com) know if you hope to come,
particularly if you want to eat.

Surrey and S W London Group. We are pleased to announce a new venue for the Surrey and S.W.
London VSCC group’s New Year’s Day gathering – which is Ottershaw Park Mansion near Chertsey. The
Fairmile at Cobham will continue to be our default monthly meeting location, but NOT on N.Y.D. - at
their request. Ottershaw Park Mansion has excellent facilities for a gathering such as ours. We will have
access to the grounds, gardens and recreational hall. The residents are sympathetic to vintage cars as
was demonstrated when we used the location as a rally start point. Available on the day will be Cask Ales
from the local Horsell Brewing Company, tea, coffee and soft drinks. There will also be hot soup, bread
rolls and maybe a mince pie or two, so bring along your tankards and favourite snack to join us for a
natter in the Mansion’s formal garden. The address is The Mansion, Ottershaw Park, KT160QG. What 3
Words; ///noting.labs.headed. Access is from the A319, Chobham Road, close to Fairoaks Airfield. The
gathering will be from 11:30 to 2:30pm. To aid catering an idea of numbers would be helpful. This can be
done by emailing VSCC member and host peteclark@hotmail.com. He also will happily provide further
joining detail if required. Please share this news of a change of venue to avoid others receiving a frosty
welcome at the Fairmile.

Vintage Stony. On the Buckinghamshire - Northamptonshire Border. Usual format - an informal
gathering of vehicles and motorcycles from 9-30am to 2pm in the heart of historic Stony Stratford MK11
1BE. (Pre-War vehicles in the Market Square only, early arrivals will again be treated to a hot breakfast
roll and drink, max of two per vehicle). Again the event is totally free for all to attend, but donations
requested all of which will be given to our local Hospice at Willen. Further event information is available
at www.vintagestony.co.uk
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And Stop Press - we will have our own meet at the Old Bull at Inkberrow on New Year's Day - see the home page for details.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Ah well, that's a no-brainer. Inkberrow is much more local for me. Fingers crossed for good weather after the very soggy Autumn meeting.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Excellent! I just got confirmation from Joe Reed this morning.

I think we will be at the New Inn at Pembridge. The fabric saloon is significantly under-powered at the moment and I haven't worked out why yet. It's just had a fabulously expensive professional overhaul by the Dutch MG Workshop, but I'm not impressed with its performance. It might be the VW distributor and it could possibly be stale fuel. And the Semi-sports has the vertical drive issue. I need to get the head off over Christmas and see what is going on. And the tourer has hardly any oil pressure - also under investigation.

Yes, fingers crossed for a crisp and bright winter's day. Our cars go so much better when the air is cold!

Who else is planning a pub run to ring in the New Year?
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Weather forecast is currently looking good for Sunday. Had to fix a seeping joint on the SU pump yesterday afternoon, so fingers crossed it's sorted and I'll be at The Old Bull, Inkberrow, in the Minor.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

It was clearly a mistake to have a NYD meeting at Inkberrow. It was sadly poorly attended. Only 8 pre-war/vintage cars and 2 post-war/modern cars. I'll return to Pembridge or maybe Much Marcle next year. From what I can see online most who usually turn up at The Old Bull had gone to the Much Marcle meeting

At least the weather was decent enough to enjoy the drive there and back, so not a complete disaster
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

We were at the New In at Pembridge - about a dozen cars present. I heard that there were about 150 cars at Much Marcle, but that was further for us, and this was the first real trip out in the fabric saloon - about 14 miles each way from our cottage.

New Year's day meets vary a lot - from a handful of cars to many - you make the choice based on likely numbers and distance, weather, etc.

This was the first NYD meet the Register has organized anywhere. The problem is that there are so many established NYD meets to compete with.

It is very unlikely that more than one or two Minors will turn up at any NYD meet. I heard from two others who took their cars out on the day - one to a pub and another for a country run.

The spring meet at the Old Bull is booked for Sunday 1st May - May Day. This falls neatly between Drive-it Day (which also has lots of meets to compete with) and the Coronation weekend.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I understand that people came and went from about 1030 to well into the afternoon, with six cars turning up in the afternoon, coming back from the Much Marcle meet.

The same was true for the Pembridge meet where several cars arrived from the Much Marcle meet.