VG 2007

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

halbe

Re: VG2007

Post by halbe »

Nah............modern rubbish :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll stick with the original bottom feeder......... :?

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'll be playing around with mine this weekend. It's all cleaned out and ready to go. I took the fuel tap off last weekend as it was jammed in the open position, but no fuel was getting to the carb. When I took the pipe off the bottom of the tap (it is a period tap, but not the same as the original Minor one) - still no fuel came out of the tank. So I took the tap off and there was a rush of stale fuel - and I managed to catch some of it. Now my garage smells wonderful! I found the tap to be solid with gunge so I cleaned it out and I'll refit it over the weekend. The plan is to hot wire the coil from the battery and see if I get a spark. If there is one, I'll crank her over and see if she'll start. I'm only getting some oil oozing onto the rocker fingers when turning over on the starter (and after cleaning the restictor pin), so I hope flow will improve with it running and getting some heat into everything for the first time since 1974. I'll dowse the valve gear liberally with oil before attempting a start. I haven't changed the oil, but it is clean and looks good enough for a check start. I'm expecting quite a bit of cr*p to exit the exhaust if it does start! I'll report progress as it happens. The fuel that I did catch when I took the tap off had some rust grains in it - not too much, but as there is already a piece of plastic pipe between the carb. and the firewall, I'll cut into this and fit an inline fuel filter I picked up earleir in the week.
halbe

Post by halbe »

While the block is away itś time to do the ignition.
Just made new plug leads using the original brass ends and cable tidies.

Here are two pictures of the original DS4 distributer, does anybody know where I can get a new Cap, rotor and contact points ?

Image]

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe,

I have a couple of new caps. Contact points are very difficult to find, and if you do find a set, make sure they are for the correct rotation. The rotor can be made from a Vauxhall rotor - just need to cut down the brass arm by a couple of millimetres. The condensers are also hard to find, and even new old stock ones are suspect as they are now so old and can break down quickly in use.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ian,

Do you know what the part number is for the Vauxhall rotor, from memory i think Ken Martin did something with the old condensor, taking it apart and using the shell to hide a modern one ......must send him a email with this question.
The points are not to bad so could be used .

Regards,
Halbe
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yup - that's the one - thanks, Trevor.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Thanks both of you!
I will get one of those rotors and make it fit.

Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

All the machining is done and all parts are ready for painting and reassembly!
Not a driving car but getting there...........

Look at the Morris sign on the conrod :)

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Excellent progress. Top photo looks like a dream autojumble stall. :D
halbe

Post by halbe »

It took long enough to get all the parts ready, welded or new..............
The good thing about that is that i was able to fill the piggy bank in order to pay for all the parts and work.
Still some way to go before firing up but I can see light at the end of the tunnel :D :D
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

wonderful reading,can not wait for the next phase,but beware I have often seen a light at the end of the tunnel but its usually some one with a torch bringing me more work.Colin :D :mrgreen:
halbe

Post by halbe »

You are absolutely right Colin , i have seen the same guy more than once :D
All is painted now and assembly will start next week.

Regards,
Halbe
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Looking forward to spring, Halbe! :wink:
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

Fitted the crankshaft to the block, all is well she is turning very nicely. As the block has been welded this was a bit of concern but so far so good :D

Eberhard; just try to bring some nice weather :) :)

Regards,
Halbe