Rear oil seals

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Q151-970

Rear oil seals

Post by Q151-970 »

I've been troubling Ian over the last week or so as I've tried to deal with oil finding its way into the rear on side (left) brake drum....with predictable and dramatic results. After trawling the Forum I've settled on new axle seals from Sports and Vintage and have a note from them that suggests that if the seal is not a "snug" fit the seals may need to be glued in. Forum advice is mixed but Bob Bryan's excellent note on this subject recommends Araldite for the job.

I know it was recommended that the original cork seals were glued in but I'm a bit reluctant to introduce a permanent adhesive to the axle casing and particularly so since in my SV the fit does indeed seem to be "snug". That is, the seal needs to be pushed hard home but can be removed/slid out again by putting two fingers inside and winding it out. It seems to me that if the fit of the half shaft is easier (looser) that the fit to the casing then the rotary action of the seal winding oil back into the casing should be OK.

I'm interested in others views on the definition of "snug" and the wisdom of introducing Araldite to the casing. I'm also interested in earlier discussions in the Forum suggesting reducing the quantity of diff oil to keep seepage to a level that the seals (and paper gasket) can handle. I've filled my diff to 70% this afternoon but 330 cc seems very little.

I know that these matters have been canvassed before but some any more recent experience would be a help.