Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2022

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2022

Post by Ian Grace »

Although our 2021 Summer Rally is two weeks away, planning for 2022 is already well under way. There are already 66 entries and today I submitted our request to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight for our usual flypast.

For your diaries, the date is Saturday/Sunday 16th/17th July, 2022.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2022

Post by Ian Grace »

First update on 2022 planning, and this is all about Friday 15th July.

This year we added a third day (Friday) to the weekend, to compensate in some way for having to completely cancel the 2021 weekend. We headed west from Prescott, via a couple of places of interest, a coffee stop at the Eastnor Castle deer park, a visit to the ancient Clencher's Mill and on to lunch and a tour at the Westons cider mill at Much Marcle. A couple more places of interest were visited on the way back to Prescott in the afternoon before meeting up at a local pub on Friday evening for our traditional weekend reception. With fewer stops than are typical on our Sunday scenic tour and navigation, there was more time to enjoy the stops. And this was particularly true for the cider mill where the tour of the mill was particularly enjoyable.

The day was so popular that we have decided to add a Friday tour to the 2022 weekend - Friday 15th July.

We will very probably start at Prescott again, but this time head east to a visit and lunch at the Hook Norton brewery just north of Chipping Norton. A sumptuous plougman's buffet will be available for everyone and of course there will be plenty of fresh ale to wash it down. (But if you prefer different fare, there is the traditional Sun Inn in the village where a full menu will be available). There will probably be a coffee stop in the morning at Cotswold Lavender, high on the Cotswold escarpment, and we will be concluding for cream teas (or more ale!) at the Plough at Ford in the afternoon. We used to conclude our Sunday rallies at the Plough but our-grew their parking when we hit i90 entries! But the Friday run next year will be limited to 30 cars, which the Plough will be able to accommodate comfortably.

(And I have one more surprise up my sleeve for the day, but you won't know about that for a while yet!)

Unlike this year, when the Friday was added at a late date, we will be able to include the Friday activities on the main 2022 entry form which I hope to have ready by the end of this month.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Today I received confirmation from the Bugatti Owner's Club that the date of Saturday 16th July is officially in their calendar.

I will be updating the entry form and online entry form shortly.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Both websites updated and entries open!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Pleased to announce two new clubs will be joining us this year - the British Salmson Owners Club and the Railton Owners Club.

The word is getting out that the Pre-War Prescott weekend represents a ready-made rally (or more accurately three rallies!) for one-make clubs that could not afford to hire Prescott for the day in their own right - even if there were spare hillclimb days, which there are not.

The weekend is rapidly shaping up to be a blockbuster!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

An important word about camping at Prescott over the weekend. After a few changes, camping WILL be available all weekend in the Orchard– from Thursday night to Sunday night inclusive. And, unlike recent years, camping should he booked through the Register and not through the Bugatti Owners’ Club. I don’t want to complicate matters by adding camping to the already 2-page entry form, which is already out there anyway. So if you wish to camp or bring your camper van, just let me know (vintageminor@gmail.com) and I will sort you out. Fees are £15 per night for campers and caravans, tents £10 per night.

Additionally on camping, please be aware that the Peugeot Sports Club of the UK (PSCUK) will be holding their day at Prescott on Sunday 17th and I am co-ordinating with them to ensure all goes smoothly over the weekend for both clubs. Some PSCUK members will be camping over the weekend and we will need all campers to pitch their tents or campers at the BACK of the Orchard – that is anywhere between the farm in the lower corner and the bridge at the top of the Paddock, and NOT along the track across the bottom of the Orchard, between the Bugatti Trust building and the farm. This will allow the PSCUK staff to stake out the main area of the Orchard on Saturday evening for their spectator parking requirements for Sunday.

I am also aware that, for a variety of reasons, some visitors cannot book camping in advance, so camp anyway and just come and see me some time over the weekend to settle up. Any other camping questions, please just ask.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

At long last I have found time to assemble the entry list, as it stands so far, for PWP 2022.

The online entry list - as it stands today - can be accessed at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=547.

Assembling it was not a trivial task as it contains over eighty roll-overs from last year. I would ask those who have rolled over entries to check their entries still match their wishes for this year's event. Please let me know if you wish to make any alterations, additions or subtractions. Although prices (and costs) have risen this year, I will honour these rollovers at last year's prices. If you plan to bring a different car, that is absolutely no problem, but if you could let me have any changes before the day, I will be able to post an accurate entry list on the start line hut wall on the day.

If you rolled over your entry from last year, but still cannot make PWP this year, then please also let me know.

Also for those who hold rollover entries, I would remind you that we have a third day's event on Friday - a Scenic Tour to include a visit to the Hook Norton brewery (plus other places of interest), which you might like to enter. You can book this on the Pre-War Prescott website (at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=161) where you can book in for the tour, and the optional brewery tour and buffet ploughman's lunches, and afternoon cream teas at the Plough at Ford.

I also just noticed that the paper entry form includes the option to book cream teas on Friday afternoon at the Plough, but this was omitted from the online entry form (link above), so if you have already booked for the Friday tour but would like to book cream teas at the conclusion, then please use either the paper form or online form to make your booking.

Right now, we have 115 entries and are expecting around 250 in all as we expect PWP 2022 to mark the return to normality and we will also be able to welcome our overseas visitors after a break of three years. But please also note that we already have 235 climbs booked. When we reach 300 climbs, I will be reducing the number of pre-bookable climbs - to give all entrants a chance of at least one climb on the day, and I always hold over around 50 climbs to be made available on the day - this because I know that some of you, for a variety of good reasons, cannot commit to entering until just before the weekend. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have not entered yet, but wish to do so, please enter online at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=161.

Look out for more Pre-War Prescott news in the forthcoming March Newsletter.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Entries continue to arrive, including 51 for Sunday - 12 for the Navigation Rally and 39 for the Scenic Tour, and 90 cream teas so far - now confirmed at Stanway House, after it was closed all of last year.

Latest Sunday entry is Adrian Newey with his 1938 Jaguar SS100. Luckily, our weekend fits exactly between the Austrian and French GP's.

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/ita/newey.html
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Today entries hit 150 for the weekend, and with just over four months to go, I'm expecting another 100 before the day. Right now, we have 11 Minors entered and I would expect that number to double by the weekend. We also have 29 MMM entries so far.

As of this morning, we have 295 climbs booked. When we hit 300 in the next few days, the number of pre-bookable climbs will be reduced from two plus a free one to one plus a free one.

Stanway House has confirmed that the house WILL be open this year and we are booked in for cream teas on Sunday afternoon, which is great news.

We are currently busy working the Sunday route which this year will be heading south from Prescott, while the Friday route heads east to the Hook Norton brewery where a special Ploughman's buffet lunch awaits is.

Keep the entries coming in for what will be a superb restriction-free weekend at long last!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This update was circulated today:

With the approach of the Pre-War Prescott weekend and the increasing pace of planning and other developments, it is time to start circulating more frequent updates than just the details provided in the monthly Vintage Minor Register Newsletters.

To kick off this update, as of this morning, we have 154 weekend entries, including 141 Pre-War Prescott entries and 305 climbs have already been pre-booked. As I mentioned in the March Newsletter, now that we have reached 300 climbs, the number of pre-bookable climbs will now be ‘throttled down’ from two plus a free one, to one plus a free one. I will be adjusting the online entry form and the paper entry form accordingly. If your entry is already on the way, I will honour your climb bookings, but going forward the new limit will be applied. The reason for this throttling down of climbs is to make sure that climbs are still available for future entries and 50 climbs will be held in reserve for the day so that those of you who cannot commit to enter before the day have a chance of a climb. In due course, as in the past, pre-bookable climbs will be further reduced to just the free one.

Many of you will know that 2022 marks the Centenary of the Austin Seven and a vast number of surviving examples will be gathering to celebrate in nearby Moreton-in-Marsh during the week immediately after our weekend. The Austin Seven will be the featured marque at Pre-War Prescott and ALL spectating Austin Sevens will be given completely FREE entry to Pre-War Prescott and parked together in the Orchard.

Next, I have just this morning received the following vital information from the Bugatti Owners Club which succinctly explains how licensing and advance signing on works. These arrangements are exactly the same as last year, but this year, we hope to have many more entrants correctly credentialed BEFORE the day so as to ease pressure on the BOC office on the day. If you obtained your RS Clubman License last year, you will need to apply for a new one for 2022.

RS CLUBMAN LICENSE: https://rsclubman.motorsportuk.org

Please note anyone going up the hill in any capacity must have an RS Clubman license. We suggest saving them as a photo from email, or printing it out due to the lack of phone signal at Prescott.

SIGNING ON: https://forms.gle/qagqFhy1oewkvECg9

Please note everyone going up the hill in any capacity must have signed on. If they do so online, they will show on our system. If they have not, they’ll need to do it in person at the BOC Office which is quite time consuming for them – and a lot of people can get quite frustrated!

Once they are signed on and have presented their license, they will be handed a wristband to show the marshals that they are eligible to go up the hill.
Full details of Pre-War Prescott can be found at https://prewarprescott.com and full details of the entire three days of rallying and socializing can be found at http://vintageminor.co.uk/Summerrally20 ... _2022.html

Entry for any of the weekend’s events can be made at https://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=161 and the running entry list can be monitored at https://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=547 which is continuously updated as entries arrive. If you have already entered, please check your entry against your expectations and let me know if you spot any discrepancies or omissions. Tickets will be distributed about two weeks before the weekend.

Camping at Prescott. To repeat from the March newsletter:

Camping will be available all weekend in the Prescott Orchard – from Thursday night to Sunday night inclusive. And, unlike recent years, camping should be booked through the Register and not through the Bugatti Owners Club. I don’t want to complicate matters by adding camping to the already 2-page entry form, which is already out there anyway. So if you wish to camp or bring your camper van, just let me know (vintageminor@gmail.com) and I will sort you out. Fees are £15 per night for campers and caravans, tents £10 per night.

Additionally on camping, please be aware that the Peugeot Sports Club of the UK (PSCUK) will be holding their day at Prescott on Sunday 17th and I am co-ordinating with them to ensure all goes smoothly over the weekend for both clubs. Some PSCUK members will be camping over the weekend and we will need all campers to pitch their tents or campers at the BACK of the Orchard – that is anywhere between the farm in the lower corner and the bridge at the top of the Paddock, and NOT along the track across the bottom of the Orchard, between the Bugatti Trust building and the farm. This will allow the PSCUK staff to stake out the main area of the Orchard on Saturday evening for their spectator parking requirements for Sunday.

The Charity Action. This traditional auction, run in aid of the RAF Charitable Trust will take place as usual in the lunch break, in front of the Vintage Minor Register marquee. Please bring along any surplus quality items of automobilia and drop them of at the Vintage Minor Register marquee in the morning and please plan to join in the auction during the lunch break.

The Raffle. Plans are also being made to assemble a range of tremendous prizes. Each pre-booked entry comes with a free £5 raffle ticket and additional tickets will be available on the day. If you think you might have a suitable prize to offer, please get in touch – your offer will be greatly appreciated. The draw will take place directly after the Charity Auction in the lunch break. Last year, many great prizes, including the Tiger Moth flight went unclaimed because the winning ticket holder were AWOL! These were then auctioned off to the highest bidder. You have been warned!
A word about Friday. Following the tremendous success of last year’s Friday Tour, we’re mounting another one this year. Like last year we will foregather at the Royal Oak at Gretton where their wonderful bacon butties and hot drinks will be available before meandering eastward to a visit and special Ploughman’s lunch and optional tour of the historic Victorian Hook Norton tower brewery where the local museum and brewery shop will also be open for us. The route will be provided for every entrant in the form of a Tour Handbook issued at the start which will also include informative comments on various places of interest that we will be visiting along the route. These will include a country distillery and also a visit to a farm near Chipping Norton that you may have seen on Amazon TV! The afternoon will conclude with cream teas at the charming Plough Inn at Ford, a venue which we frequented many times in the early days of the Register’s Prescott events.

And of course, we will also be running our traditional and highly popular Sunday Navigation Rally and parallel Scenic Tour. This will also start at the Royal Oak but unlike Friday, we will head south this year. Lunch has been organized at an historic Gloucestershire pub, but because of the Navigation Rally, the location must remain secret until the day! In other good news, after being closed for the whole of 2021, Stanway House will be welcoming us once again this year for our Sunday afternoon cream teas, courtesy of Lord Wemyss.

I think that’s about it for now. Keep an eye on the websites and future updates for breaking information. And do get in touch if you have any questions or special needs. In the meantime, if you have not already entered, now would be a splendid time to enter what will undoubtedly be one of the best vintage motoring weekends of 2022.

Finally, could I ask you, and in particular other Club and Register officers to forward/publish these notes to all who you consider may be interesting in joining us over the weekend. My circulation list is only rudimentary and limited in its reach. Thanks.

With thanks to the participating Clubs and Registers – Pre-War Prescott 2022:

The Alvis Owner Club
The Alvis Register
The BMW Historic Car Club
The Bristol Austin Seven Club
The British Salmson Owners Club
The Herefordshire Austin Seen Club
The M.G. Car Club MMM Register
The Morris Specials Group
The Octagon Car Club
The Railton Owners Club
The Railton Owners Club
The Riley Register
The Talbot Owners Club
The Wolseley Hornet Specials Club
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Fantastic news this morning.

This just in from Squadron Leader William McMiken BSc (Hons) RAF, SO2 Air Events:

"Ian,

We are confirming the BBMF flights 2 months out, so expect an official confirmation at the beginning of May. However I can say that on the plan at the moment, Pre-War Prescott does feature a BBMF Lancaster flypast at 14:15 local so fingers crossed. We will be back in touch.

Bill"

Fingers crossed indeed!

We have had BBMF support every year since our inaugural Pre-War Prescott in 2011, which was the last time we were allocated the Lanc.

In 2011 and we were allocated the Lanc which was at Fairford for RIAT the same weekend. It was due for its Prescott flypast at lunchtime. The weather was appalling, so we abandoned all thought of the appearance. In the afternoon, the weather slowly lifted and the deluge eased. I was giving out prizes at 5 p.m. and was interrupted by Frank Ashley who was standing in front of mein the crowd, frantically waving behind me. I turned to see the Lanc boring down on us! It was precisely 5 p.m., the end time on my request form. The surprise of the arrival amplified the spectacle enormously. It was only afterwards that I found out that the Lanc crew had moved heaven and earth to get to us from Fairford by the closing time for the event. The weather had also played havoc with RIAT, to the point where they had two F-15's blasting up and down the runway in re-heat to clear the standing water!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I spent all day today 'driving' the Friday scenic tour route on Google Earth. This after 'driving the Sunday morning route on Monday. So just the Sunday afternoon route to 'drive'.

These virtual drives are used to generate and check the Scenic Tour routes and get inserted into the respective Tour Handbooks.

The general itinerary for the Friday route is:

Start from the Royal Oak at Gretton, with bacon baps and refreshments, etc.
Snowshill
Chipping Campden
The Cotswolds Distillery (shop and cafe)
The Hook Norton brewery (lunch, museum, brewery tour)
Diddly Squat Farm Shop
The Donnington brewery
Conclude with cream teas at the Plough at Ford (bookable on the entry form)

So quite the day.

Right now, we have our Friday evening reception at the Gardeners Arms at Alderton, but I'm considering leaving that as an option, but also adding the Plough, which also has a great restaurant and bar meals.

Also, Jayne and I are planning to drive our Semi-sports on the Friday tour. We always have to use our modern on the Sunday runs, as we have to be able to dash about at high speed to sort issues along the route and be at the conclusion in good time to sort the scoring, results, awards, etc. But the Friday tour involves none of this, so this is going to be the first tour that we have actually been able to join in on.

And, unlike the Sunday run, there is no time pressure on Friday this year, as the Plough is open all evening, so it matters not when you arrive at the pub after the tour.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's some important information regarding Sunday. This year, we are delighted to replace the usual pub lunch with a super private Vintage Picnic on the formal lawns at Colesbourne Park in the Cotswolds.

We will be gathering on the lower lawn - on the right in the aerial photograph, with the fountain in the middle).

Here is what you need to know:

You can bring your own picnic or you can pre-order sumptuous vintage picnics and refreshments from Revills Farm Shop in Defford. These picnics will be collected from the farm on Sunday morning so will be crisp, cool and fresh. You place your order, and your picnics will await you at the Park. The Picnic Menu is also available http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Summerral ... icnics.pdf. I will also be e-mailing it to everyone who has already entered.

Immediately adjacent to the Park is the Colesbourne Inn and also the Old Rectory restaurant for those who do not wish to picnic. If you wish to take up one of these options, you should pre-book lunch as follows:

The Colesbourne Inn (https://www.thecolesbourneinn.co.uk/) 50 covers currently available.

The Old Rectory restaurant (https://oldrectoryrestaurant.co.uk/) 25 covers currently available

Fuel will also available at the Gulf station in Colesbourne on Sunday if your car also needs a top up.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Entries.

As of tonight, 30th April, apart from my two Minors and the Maddox which I have here and am trying to ship, we have just NINE Minors booked in for our Summer Rally so far, out of a total entry of 195.

Come on gentlemen, we can do better than this!
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Ian, I will almost certainly be there in my 1932 Two-Seater, but I can't fully commit to it this far out.