What fuel for our Minors?

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

What fuel for our Minors?

Post by Ian Grace »

After many years with no Minor on the road in England (not since our Dorset rally in 2007), I now find myself with two! The Semi-sports LJ 4435 and the tourer WE 6554. I will have both at our Summer Rally at Prescott and I'm really looking forward to driving them (and getting some much-needed gear change practice!)

So I am looking for some advice on what fuel to put in them. What fuels are available in the UK these days that are suitable (or least damaging!) to our engines. What are the issues and traps I need to be aware of?

I know that our rudimentary fuel systems are susceptible to vapour locking, but I'm less clear about ethanol issues and what is available at the pump.

I'm also planning to take the tourer to VSCC Madresfield the following Sunday 19th - just going to spectate on this early run. Anyone like to join us for a bit of a VMR picnic there?
SV_Minor

Re: What fuel for our Minors?

Post by SV_Minor »

I'll admit I know as much as 'Dave down the pub' but given that Ford's Model T was designed to run on 100% ethanol with just a tweak of the carburettor, and also given the fact that a brand of ethanol added (as much as 20%) fuel called Cleveland Discol was sold in the UK from about 1928 to the late 60s, then I'm not going to worry too much about it. I might come to regret that :lol:

I'm up for a day out in Madresfield and having just taken a look on the VSCC website, it's free too, and it's just down the road for me.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks!

I checked that non-VSCC members can attend. Here's the answer:

"Hello Ian,
Madders is open to all and everyone……. Free entry….though we do like visitors to buy a programme as this offsets some of the expenses…..
Tell him he is very welcome….. and he can contact me if he likes…. I like Minors !
Cheers
M".

This from Mike Tebbett - contact details in the online Membership List in the website members' Area.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Took the Minor down to a VSCC pub meeting in the Cotswolds yesterday and managed to cover over 100 miles. On the return home I stopped to refuel at the local Tesco and the regular E5 95 unleaded has already been replaced with E10 95. I chickened out and filled up with the far more expensive E5 Super 98. So much for saying I'm not too worried :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting, and which met was that?

Howe much s the E5 Super 98. is that 98 octane?!

The best we get here in Seattle is 93 octane which I put in my Disco and Jag and it's gone up a LOT this year - now around $4-30 a (US) gallon, which I reckon is about GBP 3-70 an Imperial gallon, or about 81.5p a litre.

Can we please go back to gallons and miles now we're Brexited?
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

If my memory serves me right the 98 RON Super at Tesco was a little under £1.50 a litre, whereas the standard Regular 95 is about £1.34 a litre. In old money that's around £6.70 per Imperial gallon and £6.10 for a gallon of regular unleaded.

The pub meeting was at The Greedy Goose, Salford, on the main A44 opposite the junction of the A436 from Stow-on-the-Wold.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

I had by far the smallest (and cheapest) and youngest car there.
Attachments
A 6.5 litre Bentley towering over a little Morris Minor.
A 6.5 litre Bentley towering over a little Morris Minor.
20210810_175929.jpg (5.62 MiB) Viewed 1860 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ouch! And I thought I was paying a lot!

If we manage to get the cottage near Ludlow we're in the process of buying, I'll want to get a tow vehicle to keep there, plus a trailer for the Morrises.

I'd love to get another Disco or Range Rover, but their MPG is appalling (I get about 14 to the US gallon out of mine here, so I use a little Chevy Aveo for commuting).

I did own one of the first (2-door) Discos when they were first introduced and that was diesel. Perhaps diesel is the way to go, but is diesel fuel going to continue to be available?

Have you joined the VSCC - now that SV Minors are eligible?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Goodness, what a snappy carriage!

But the Minor loos equally smart!

We have a few Bentleys coming to Prescott including a fantastic 4.5 Le Mans in pristine condition.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Not looking good for diesel over here. Recent bad press and a change in government policy have effectively all but killed the market. Many cities are looking to ban all but the most recent vehicles fitted with diesel. Also, diesel is now more expensive than petrol, and more and more petrol engines are getting close to diesel economy. My mk7 Golf with a 1.4 TSI petrol engine driving through a 7-speed DSG gearbox easily returns mid-50s on a motorway run. I've seen over 63mpg taking it easy.

Really looking forward to PWP. I passed it on my way to Chipping Norton yesterday. I wanted to test out a route from home to there. I think it should be a good drive down, providing the major roadworks due to start on the A38/A4104 junction to the east of Upton-on-Severn, doesn't cause too much traffic chaos. Worcestershire Council is replacing the staggered junction with a roundabout.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I was talking to Ronald Hogg about choice of tow vehicle and he recommended the VW Tiguan, which also has the DSG box. Fuel mileage is also good with that and its good for towing.

I know the A38/A14014 junction well - it's just west of Defford where we tried to buy a thatched cottage two years ago (scuppered by Grade II listing issues). Didn't know it was being replaced.

Right now, I'm battling with another road closure just past the B4216 south of Ledbury before I can print the Friday Tour handbooks.