1929 coachbuilt saloon surfaces in Toronto

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1929 coachbuilt saloon surfaces in Toronto

Post by Ian Grace »

As reported on the home page (16th July), this saloon has just resurfaced after being shipped from England to Canada in 1968.

This car won the Morris Register concours in the Minor class (there were 13 Minors present on the day) at the Morris 8 Tourer Club's 1965 Beaulieu rally and was owned at the time by Sidney Caudle. I suspect that Ken Martin's photo lower down was taken on that day. The Morris 8 Tourer Club Journal of Autumn 1965 noted, "Making its debut at Beaulieu was a 1929 Morris Minor saloon which had been painstakingly restored by the owner Sidney Caudle and still equipped with the original "Kopalapso" folding roof."

Here are some more photos of the car:

Note the August 1967 tax disc still on the windscreen.

And here's the dpcumentation, including shipping docs, a logbook and an MoT certificate, as well as some photos from the sixties:

Here is one that Ken Martin took - probably at Beaulieu in 1965:

And finally, here is the letter that Alan Sands wrote to the Morris Register after acquiring the car in the summer of 1968:

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1929 coachbuilt saloon surfaces in Toronto

Post by Ian Grace »

I just had a good chat with the owner, who is Alan Sands' son-in-law. Alan passed away in 2018 and his wife also died recently, so Alan is disposing of the estate. He would like to keep the car in the family, but nobody has any space for it. He is keen for it to go to a true enthusiast and we agreed that it should be repatriated to England if at all possible.

Since 1968, Alan only drove it in his local area - no more than about five miles from home, and it was never registered in Canada.

I have the owner's full contact details if anyone would like to explore the possibility of acquiring it.