Cable layout

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Alice

Cable layout

Post by Alice »

I would like to know where / how various cables etc are located in a 1930 OHC Minor.

Speedo cable: How does it get from parallel to ground at the gearbox to vertical at the speedo without getting mixed up with pedals, wiring etc?

Battery cables to engine earth and starter switch. I am thinking of running the +ve cable alongside the transmission tunnel. An aside from that: Is the floorboard supported in any way on the inboard (trans tunnel) edge?

Fuel pipe: From tank to carb, does it go through the firewall or under it somewhere sort of above the starter?

Where on the firewall were the cutout/fuse box and ignition coil placed, And was the coil horizontal or vertical?

Did the HT leads from distributor to coil and plugs just dangle in the air or were they gathered in some kind of holder?

Any pics, sketches or just words would be appreciated.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Cable layout

Post by Ian Grace »

Morning Barry,

I think I can help with al of this. I'll dig out some pictures to post here, which might take bit, as I'm up to my ears right now, but here's some preliminary info.

The speedo cable comes up through a slot in the small central foot board over the gearbox. I'll see if I can get a photo for you.

The transmission tunnel is supported on the two floor board, which in turn are supported at the back by a wooden cross member and at the front where they rest on angled pieces of wood screwed to the two foot boards. These foot boards are in turn supported on their inner edges by the two steel floorboard brackets. Again, I'll see what photos I can dig out.

The fuel pipe runs through a hole in the firewall. Photo to come.

On the 1930 OHC Minor, the coil is mounted horizontally at the top driver's side of the firewall. Photo to come, including cut-out location.

The ignition leads passed through a pair of red fibre disks, with five holes in each. Photo to come.

Hope this helps for now.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks Ian, I look forward to some pics. No rush involved, and I know you're busy with PWP etc, so any time is fine
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The photos I am particularity looking for were on a Semi-sports CD that I circulated to a number of people some years ago, but I cannot find the original source folder on my PC. I have put out a request to anyone who has one of these CDs to copy the files back to me on a thumb drive. In the meantime, I need to go through all of my photo CDs to see if I can find a copy. Please bear with me and watch this space!