Compression Tests & Fuel Consumption on OHC Minor

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

PeterWHills

Compression Tests & Fuel Consumption on OHC Minor

Post by PeterWHills »

I have recorded my fuel and mileage since my car was returned to the road 9500 miles ago and on average I only get about 27MPG, is this normal?

I have taken compression dry and wet tests several times and the most recent cylinder numbers & results in PSI are: No 1 - 75, No 2 -80, No 3 - 78, No 4 - 80. So pretty consistent. The 'Wet Test' adding 5mLt of oil revealed losses between 7 and 12 psi. Earlier test I used 15mlt and saw larger losses. I suspect the rings are the issue, what do you think?

My car dies on long sloping hills, just no climbing power, 2nd and sometimes 1st gear is needed.

If anyone would like my Compression Test spreadsheet and graph system let me know (see attached).

Down a slope my car purrs along at almost 60mph (vibration free yet scary) but likes to cruise between 40 and 45. Perhaps I am driving too fast and hence the lower consumption compared to some claims of upward of 45MPG?

What is your experience since if my 4 Seat Tourer is under performing I will attend to the engine. I last did a decoke at 4300 miles after the head gasket blew and lapped in the valves perfectly. All the usual tune up aspects of tappets, ignition and carburation have been attended to but the plugs are always sooty yet the car starts every time.
1929 Morris Minor OHC Compression Data.png
1929 Morris Minor OHC Compression Data.png (68.77 KiB) Viewed 2567 times