SV Minor Rear Camshaft bearing

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

BPB357

SV Minor Rear Camshaft bearing

Post by BPB357 »

Hi All, I recently bought BPB 357 ( Mr Andrew Batey's SV Minor) and on changing the oil this weekend I found a piece of bearing casing. Sump removed and further inspection I see that it has broken from the rear camshaft bearing inner race :shock:
I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue and could point me the right direction as to best practice on how to remove/replace said part (parts are on order)

Thank you in advance,

Paul.
peterb

Re: SV Minor Rear Camshaft bearing

Post by peterb »

Hi Paul
I've seen several of these roller bearings where the brass cage has come apart or broken up.
Nearly always due to excessive wear and lack of lubrication. It's a design issue. The bearing has a retaining plate which tends to block off the oil splash.
Probably easiest (although that's relatively speaking) with the engine out.
Might be possible in-situ but I've never tried it and can't recommend it.
Remove gearbox and bell housing as one.
Remove clutch and take off flywheel.
The camshaft rear bearing is behind the triangular metal cover with 3 bolts.
If this and the gasket are removed the bearing can be extracted.
The rollers run on the camshaft, there's no inner race, so if the shaft is worn it might need repairing. In which case the engine would need further extensive dismantling. If the shaft and outer race are ok just the inner could be replaced but better to change the whole bearing.
The rollers can also be replaced on their own if the brass cage is intact. It can be taken apart by driving out the several pins to separate the two parts. The rollers on their own are 1/4" x 1/4" and available from any bearing supplier. Re-rivet with steel pins. The outer race is also sold on its own but not easy to find.
Picture attached.
Also BPB357 on the VMR 2012 Rally in the North of England, cruising up The Stang on the Durham / North Yorkshire border.
Peter
Attachments
camshaft-bearing.jpg
camshaft-bearing.jpg (311.25 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Stang-2.jpg
Stang-2.jpg (258.05 KiB) Viewed 1229 times