VMR spring 2021 pub meet at the Old Bull, Inkberrow

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VMR spring 2021 pub meet at the Old Bull, Inkberrow

Post by Ian Grace »

By the way, the maroon Minor saloon is Stuart Clarke's from Bromsgrove.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Some more fine photos from Roger Wasley - with Roger's captions:

The Austin Ten was launched on 19 April 1932 and was the company’s best-selling car in the 1930s and continued in production, with upgrades, until 1947. It fitted in between their "baby" Austin Seven which had been introduced in 1922 and their various Austin Twelves which had been updated in January 1931. This 1934 Austin Ten, ATA 593, is seen arriving at a lunchtime rally in Inkberrow.

The Swift Motor Company made Swift Cars in Coventry from 1900 until 1931. It grew progressively from James Starley's Coventry Sewing Machine Company, via bicycle and motorised cycle manufacture. This 1927 Swift, SF 7805, is seen at a lunchtime gathering at The Old Bull Inn, Inkberrow.

The British Salmson S4C had the same twin-overhead-camshaft, 1471 cc, four-cylinder engine and chassis as its French parent, but the gearbox was updated to include synchromesh on the top two ratios. This 1934 S4C, 839 UXJ, is seen arriving at Inkberrow in Worcestershire.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Report from John Emmett:

"Actually, the weather rather flattened things, as it has done throughout May. This was the first Sunday that pubs were allowed to let people in, and it was so lucky that the Old Bull was so welcoming. Around me in SW London they are not getting beer on draught, and the menu is basic. Also car parks and gardens are a rarity, and people are reluctant to go out yet. I think the weather will change for the better as June comes in."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Report from Clive Hamilton-Gould:

"Hi Ian
Despite horrible weather forecast I found my way eventually to The Old Bull at Inkberrow not helped by lack of signs around Stratford upon Avon! A delightful pub with a welcome from the landlord Joe Reed who was without his Morris but carried a photo next to his heart! Two other Morrises plus Salmson (very immaculate) Austin 10, Lea-Francis, Swift, and a large pre-war MG saloon were present. Having arrived a bit late and being quizzed by a couple of chaps trying to build a 1930 Morris saloon from boxes of bits, I rather forgot to put down everyone's names.

Frank Ashley with his wife were good company but is working on his car for the coming season, so the car was not present. The rain only came down as I was nearing home but the wind was very strong and I had to stop to retrieve my hat on one occasion. The car ran very smoothly at a steady 50mph so having stopped to see some friends just down the road for a cup of coffee it was enjoyable outing. I think I did about a 130 miles. Hope a few more Morris owners might make it next time."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Report from the desperately unlucky Tom Swain, who drove up from Horsham in West Sussex:

"Sorry to report that my daughter Laura and I have failed to make it to Inkberrow for lunch. We set off around 5.15 a.m. and had an excellent run to Henley on Thames where we stopped to fuel up. I then discovered I had lost most of my engine oil and the rest on the garage forecourt out of the main journal (I suspect).

We've made it back home without problem, just a heavy oil consumption! 140 mile round trip on empty roads which is quite something in the South East.
A good test run for Prescott."

Photos taken at Henley:

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And one more from Clive Hamilton-Gould.

The three Minors left to right are those of Clive, Stuart Clark and new member Jonathan Barwick.

Now to set a date for the autumn meet - any suggestions? (Typically we plan the meets in BST to give people an extra hour to get home in daylight.)

SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

That's my good self on the far right stood in front of my car chatting to Joe the landlord with his back to the camera. I really need to go on a diet! :oops: :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And that is member Tim Stevens' delightful 1928 Lea Francis 12/40 model P on the right in the earlier picture. Just out of an engine rebuild during lockdown.