Possible New Year's Day VMR pub meet

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Possible New Year's Day VMR pub meet

Post by Ian Grace »

Yesterday Joe Reed, the landlord of the Old Bull at Inkberrow, Worcestershire joined the VMR with his newly-acquired 1932 Minor, so I'm suggesting a New Year's Day lunchtime meet at the pub, which, like so many others, is struggling to stay afloat amid this current nonsense. The Old Bull may be known to you as the pub in the long-running BBC radio serial 'The Archers', and Inkberrow is 'Ambridge'. Possibly the most quintessentially English pub in the realm. It is also conveniently central. Respond here or drop me an e-mail if you might like to come along.

The Register visited the Old Bull in 2013 as the lunch stop on our nav rally/scenic tour, and was also the local for Jayne and I when we lived in Redhill, Worcester back in the eighties.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Possible New Year's Day VMR pub meet

Post by Ian Grace »

This New Year's day pub meet is now official. VMR members and all owners of pre-war cars most welcome at the Old Bull at lunchtime.
Bob the minor

Post by Bob the minor »

Is this event still on??
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

I hope so. It Will be my very first VMR meeting.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I just spoke to Joe, the landlord, and he tells me that the meeting is ON at the moment, as Worcestershire is currently in Tier 2. We will know tomorrow (Wednesday) whether the county remains in Tier 2 or goes to Tier 3. If it goes to Tier 3, the pub will have to close.

You can also call the pub at 01386/792428 if you would like to check directly before heading out.

Either way, we will also shoot for a spring meet - Covid-depending of course.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Yes, I rang and spoke to Joe this afternoon. I'll actually give him another call, probably Thursday afternoon or maybe Friday morning, to confirm it's still on. We may have to break into groups of six to keep within the government guidelines, depending on how many turn up.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yup - he told me someone from Worcester had called - guessed it was you.

He also had a call from someone in oxford, but as Oxfordshire is in tier 3, he won't be able to drive to the pub.

Frank Ashley is also planning to come along, but in a modern as his M Type is in bits right now.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Just heard on the news that the UK government will be announcing any changes to the current tiers on Wednesday. Given the massive increase in cases over the past week, I can see England heading into Lockdown 3 in the new year, sadly. I'm keeping my fingers 'n' toes crossed.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

That's right -it all depends on tomorrow's announcement.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And - no surprise - Worcestershire is now in Tier 3, so I'm afraid the meet will be off.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18 ... trictions/

Includes the quote: "Pubs and restaurants will all have to close except for those offering a takeaway or delivery service."

We will now shoot for an inaugural meet in the spring - or as soon as possible.
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Yep, but not unexpected. As soon as I heard the news on the Oxford jab this morning I knew the lid was just about to be nailed shut. I was expecting a full England lockdown. Fingers crossed for the spring.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just spoke to Joe - we're going to shoot for Sunday 25th April now, for the inaugural Old Bull meet - Drive-it-Day.