Geoff Thornton

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Geoff Thornton

Post by Ian Grace »

It's my sad duty to report that our Honorary Member, and member number five of the Register passed away last week at the age of 91 after suffering from dementia over the last few months.

With lots of determination Geoff built several Bullnose Morrises from the chassis up and was also a happy owner of, inter alia, a Riley Monaco, Kestrel and various (and many) Minors.

Geoff was a passionate restorer of the old school where having to make do and mend was the order of the day.

I feel privileged to have known Geoff (and his wife Pat) for so many years. And it was lovely to have spent a couple of years living nearby in Sawtry about 20 years ago, so that we were able to spend time together. There was always a warm welcome and a cup of tea at the Old Plough. In fact, Geoff navigated on a local VSCC navigation rally with me in my old fabric saloon (see photo below). Indeed, the ex-Olive Willats fabric saloon KR 5670 which I now have with me here in Seattle was owned (twice) in the seventies by Geoff. I gave it a pat for Geoff. On one visit he let me drive his most recent Bullnose restoration. I recall that the steering was so sloppy it was almost undriveable above 20 mph - for me. But when Geoff took the wheel, we raced at breakneck speed through the lanes, Geoff grinning from ear to ear as I held on tightly! Happy days.

Many years ago, we first met when I was a young officer in the RAF and I bought a couple of Minors and a lot of spares from Geoff. We kept in touch since those early days. He also cared for my tourer VF 6700 for a time and I have a photo somewhere of the family cat perched on the spare wheel! I'll try to find it.

When I founded the Vintage Minor Register in 2000, I made Geoff our first Honorary Member for his service to Minors throughout his life. After myself and my son, he was the third member of the Register. I have never known a truer enthusiast and I will miss him and his infectious enthusiasm very much indeed.

He leaves behind his wife Pat, daughter Janet and son Jeremy and their children.

A full obituary will be included in the Winter Magazine. If anyone else has memories of Geoff, please post them here.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Geoff Thornton

Post by Ian Grace »

This from Margaret Goding - she is the registrar of the Bullnose Morris Club.

"We have known Geoff since the 1960s. It was a visit to their home and the sight of steering columns and wheels planted into the garden flower beds which first alerted to me what on earth I had got myself into marrying Monty.

It was a timely moment of truth and a warning. After this visit, our son Adrian, who would have been no more than 5 at the time, mentioned about the metal flowers as he called them and wondered to his father whether we could have some too... The quick answer was yes but they would be in a shed for safe keeping and warmth.

Geoff was a kind and generous friend to us, always willing to help if he could. Sad, but at our age, becoming a frequent occurrence now".