VMR stand at May Beaulieu?

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Re: VMR stand at May Beaulieu?

Post by chris lambert »

Eric Mouser is now going to bring his newly restored Saloon along for one of the days and VJ will be there also. Anybody else like to display their car for one or both of the days?
As far as to what we are going to display is concerned, here is a pasted copy of my summary earlier in the year. If you volunteered to supply any of this can you please contact me so that I can start gathering together our wares.

Lets see then, what will we have to offer:

VMR Yearbooks
VMR Magazine back issues
S/V and OHV Parts Lists on CD
Lubrication Chart Copies
Service Sheet copies
Clutch Tools
Chassis drawings

An afterthought; how about some postcard sized prints of the various Minor models. I have some excellent masters from which to scan from?

Also, to decorate the stand we could have the following:

Large VMR banners
Membership forms
Larger sized poster prints of our cars

Anything else?
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

As previously mentioned I hope to bring PJ despite the logistics :shock: Just to remind people that displaying your car gets you in for nowt on the saturday and sunday! (not Friday though, when all the cheap stuff sells from one stall to another :lol: )
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Posted the 'display' car permits to Eric Mouser and Toby today. It looks like the Semi -sports won't be there as my trailor main 'strop' has rotted - comes from leaving the thing outside all winter! I therefore have another exhibit car permit going begging should anyone want a ticket. It comes with a free entry permit for the driver and his/her modern if required! Any 'stuff' for the stall please let me know urgently as time is getting short.
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hope you sent it first class! Have to leave early thurs to get to Everton in the minor with enough time to load up our stall ready for friday set up! Sad about the trailer :x This means that the only vmr cars in a minor display at an internationally recognised event, which also gets the driver free entry for saturday and sunday, are from 70 miles away and the 3rd was going to come from Suffolk yet the postwar minor clubs are hoping to field one of every model produced :cry: Makes you wonder, doesn't it? I hope I'm not going to be moving to a vmr vacuum :lol: Surely there's still some takers out there for this once only chance to promote the best minor club ever and justify Chris and Ians hard work promoting the club....
(I may yet also have to get PJ from Everton to Suffolk instead of the saloon!) Will ring you Tues eve to tie up the loose ends. :wink:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Put a bit of a cheerleading call on the website. Posted the VMR logos to Chris today and e-mailed some Register blurb for printing out.

Also just lobbed a news alert into the ether. Let's see if there is any response. Don't hold your breath - I sent 25 personal e-mails out yesterday inviting the most likely members to the Summer Rally - took me over an hour. Got NIL response. Break out the defibrillator someone! CLEAR! :P :P :P
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Got back from Beaulieu last night totally sh****d, actually better change that to 'knackered' in deference to Trevor's sensibilities! We enjoyed a mixed weekend, the days were fine but the nights were pretty awful. Camping in a gazeebo with the facilities half a mile away and the dawn chorus starting at four A.M. is no longer my idea of fun, but it was after all for a good cause.
Unfortunately I left my camera with Trevor's belongings and so will post some images later on today.
I am going to write a piece for the magazine and so will try and keep this brief. First of all much thanks and gratitude to Toby Sears and his brother who really helped us out of some tight spots. Not only did they provide the gazeebo and the stall and erected it for us, but they managed to source a pump to blow up my air bed, provide some articles for display and generally made it an easy introduction to the ways of the Beaulieu world.
We managed to get three Minors on 'Minor Row' thanks again to Toby, Eric Mouser and Norman Johnson. Most oft asked question "Why are your Austin Sevens in the row with the Morris Minors"? Second most heard remark "Are these really Morris Minors"? As mentioned elsewhere, five per cent of the register's membership were present on the stand at one time or another, including, Wilf Sentance, Simon Hodgins,Tony Gamble, Norman Johnson, Terry Synott, John Foreshaw, Martin Ranger, Toby, Trevor and myself. Ex member Mike Suter also made an appearance. Thanks to all for allowing Trevor and I much needed breaks away from the stand.
We also found a supplier for our shackle pins (Simon Hodgins will provide details), we signed up one new member, with two more potential members, and found out about a Cammy Minor in a basement in Ealing!
Much more anon.
Chris
PS Trevor and I didn't even have a spat - isn't that right pet?
Toby

Post by Toby »

Took limited pictures, photobucket playing up so can't resize them! Great weekend, met lots of minorists plus admirers and had the crack with Trevor and Chris without any rain. It doesn't get any better :D :D :D . PJ needs some serious fettling after the 80 mile run down there though :cry:

Here's a couple of men busy at work, my stall (VMR backup HQ) and PJ holding the prewar fort among 60 post wars! :lol:

Looking forward to Chris's photos and the summer rally in whatever car I can use
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A BIG thank you to all who manned the stand over the weekend, brought their cars along or simply checked in at the stall. The publicity we gained was tremendous.

Don't know Mike Suter - maybe he is an ex-Morris Register member?!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

A couple of images from the weekend. The second shows Eric Mouser's lovely Ipswich registered Coachbuilt Saloon and Toby's Two Seater heading a line up of 60 plus Issigonis Minors through the canopy of the 'Win a Mini' car competition. Without having to try too hard it is easily possible to trace the direct lineage between the Cowley produced Minor from Morris and the Cowley produced Mini from BMW. Eighty years of continuous car production from the same plant seperates them:

The image above shows a Saturday morning picture of Trevor Wilkinson and Tony Gamble. It could have been taken in February - it certainly felt like it!

Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thinks. I wonder if there is any mileage in approaching BMW and suggesting that our cars, which came off the same production line as the new Mini, were the Minis of the twenties and thirties. If so, we may be able to take a few cars to Cowley at some point for a photo op/visit, etc.

In a similar vein, remember this pairing at VMR Prescott?
Attachments
148.jpg
148.jpg (264.95 KiB) Viewed 2487 times