Two Door Saloon (OHC) KJ 1664

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

PhilipS

Re: Two Door Saloon (OHC) KJ 1664

Post by PhilipS »

Well, another 150 mile round trip and unfortunately still no running engine!

I went back over the timing set up (this time aware of the lower pinch bolt under the distributor), but that didn't result in any improvement. So, I did it again, this time feeling for compression on cylinder 1, watching the valves and of course the timing mark on the clutch/flywheel. I also constructed a special tool from a discarded twig to watch the rise and fall of number 1 piston. To my surprise, when 1/4 was showing in the inspection hole, number 1 piston was a BDC! Re-doing the compression (thumb over spark plug hole), number 1 piston TDC and valve position check, the 2/3 mark was showing in the inspection hole! Assuming that either the clutch/flywheel was set up incorrectly, or perhaps the camshaft was 180º out, we rearranged the HT leads in the distributor cap, based on where the rotor arm was pointing when number 1 cylinder was at TDC after its compression stroke. Still no joy, but by this time we had gone so far off-piste that we basically lost confidence and hope!

I did replace some of the gaskets and washers on the carburettor and at least stopped the fuel leakage from the float bowl banjo connection. Fuel is present in the carburettor and the piston moves up and down smoothly. As previously, Easystart was used when attempting to start the engine (along with attempts without Easystart, furious throttle pumping, closed throttle, wide open throttle and all manner of advance/retard and enrichment settings). No luck.

It seems I have met my match here. As one last roll of the dice, is it possible that the clutch/flywheel or camshaft could have been assembled 180º out?

The car is in Cambridgeshire, close to the Hertfordshire border and about 15 minutes or so from IWM Duxford. If anyone can suggest a professional in the area with relevant experience, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hello Phillip
Sorry to hear you haven't been able to get the car started. And I realise you may have reached the end of how far you want to go with it.
My knowledge of the OHV Minor engine is minimal as my SV engine is different in many respects.
I'm reliably informed that the flywheel on the OHV can indeed be installed in such a way that the timing marks are no longer relevant.
So no need to be concerned about the mis-match.
In fact there are 4 positions possible and the flywheel is sometimes rotated deliberately to utilise an unworn section of the starter ring gear.
However none of this matters and any marks can be ignored for setting up the timing.
The procedure apparently is to set no.1 to TDC, check that the dynamo yokes are at right angles, with the bottom one in-line with the cranshaft and the top one at right-angles to the camshaft. Then remove the rocker cover and check that the two nearest camshaft lobes form a vertical 'V' shape with their tops perfectly level. This indicates that both valves are fully closed.
After that, set up the distributor fully retarded with the rotor arm opposite No.1 plug lead and points just opening, as you have been doing.
If you want some first hand knowledge from an expert give me a ring on 0777 4991423 and I can put you in touch with someone who has offered to help, although he isn't anywhere near Cambridge.
Peter
PhilipS

Post by PhilipS »

Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond, Peter. Sadly, the family that own the car have decided to call it a day and have sold the car on so that they no longer have to store it. They didn't get very much for it, which is a real shame. I am rather disappointed with myself for not resolving the problems.

I already have more vehicles than is good for me and have nowhere I could have stored yet another. Otherwise I might have taken it out of their way, and worked on it without the time consuming round trip each time, so that it could have been sold as a running car. It wasn't to be.

A sad ending to our time with the car, but with luck it will turn up on an owners site at a later date and provide people with the opportunity to follow its continuing story.

My thanks to Peter and to everyone that took the trouble to follow the thread. I wish you all the best for the future.

Philip
peterb

Post by peterb »

Good to see the saloon up and running under new ownership.
Featured on the VMR home page.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

That is a cracking photo! 8 horsepower meets the iron horse! And I love how the Minor gives scale to the beast.

Here's another:

Andy Plunkett

Post by Andy Plunkett »

Hi, Andy here. New owner of KJ1664. The 1907 Marshal General purpose traction engine is also rated at 8 hp. Steam rating must be different for steam.

The chap I got the car from had it started it with Easy Start. But when I went to look at it, it did not want to start and the seller was going to go and get some Easy Start. I said no, get some cheap hair spray - much easier on the engine but just as effective (I learnt that trick in France, starting tractors) so he tried it and it fired then stopped. We found that there was no petrol in carb. and traced the problem back to find the fuel tap off. We turned it on, pushed in fuel knob and it started first try. It’s had a new coil ,plugs and HT leads so maybe that was why Philip had no success.

I took it out for its first run last Sunday and did 60 miles with no problems. I soon got used to pedal positions and double declutching. I just need to check timing and sort the trafficators and charging. I just got a correct 100 psi Eureka oil pressure gauge on eBay as the one in the car only goes up to 60 and sits at the top.

Has any one got any bits for Olympic trafficators and any suggestions on what to use on the folding roof to preserve and waterproof it?

Andy