Prop shaft lengths

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Prop shaft lengths

Post by Ian Grace »

I've been in correspondence with Howard Dixon regarding Minor prop shaft lengths. There appears to be at least four lengths out there, depending on gearboxes, and also the LWB chassis.

As far as I can tell form the cars I have here, there are three gearboxes, all with different lengths - the early 3-speed boxes (my 1930 fabric saloon), the 4-speed crash boxes fitted to the 1932/1933 SV cars (including my '33 McEvoy) and finally the 1934 season 4-speed synchro boxes (as in my Maddox coupe).

The corresponding prop shaft lengths seem to be:

34.5" (3 speed boxes)
33.5" (4 speed crash boxes)
32.5" (4-speed synchro boxes)

Can others confirm these lengths and can someone also provide the lengths for prop shafts fitted to the the LWB chassis - both OHC and SV?
Howard Dixon

Re: Prop shaft lengths

Post by Howard Dixon »

Having now installed the rebuilt 3 speed gearbox to my 1931 chassis with side valve engine, I find that the 34.5 inch prop-shaft is an inch too long. Everything is standard and therefore the shaft should fit. However, I fitted a new pair of MG M Type rear springs and wonder whether the axle mounting points on the springs may differ from those on Minor springs. Has anyone any ideas?
I propose to reduce the length of prop-shaft by removing a spider from one end, cutting the shaft back by 1 inch, and then re-attaching the spider. Has anyone done this before? Any advice would be appreciated.