Gear selection esp 3rd & 4th!

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Jobbo

Gear selection esp 3rd & 4th!

Post by Jobbo »

Good morning all, on behalf of Barry (Bazza) Gilbert, Sunshine Coast Australia - we are having gear selection issues since the build up of the gear selector lever, 1st & 2nd daggy, 3rd & 4th VERY difficult! Wondering whether it would be selector lever or the shaft that the gear selector slides on (lay? shaft?). I have spaced the gear selector housing up by 2mm which may have improved it? Feels more like something inside the box rather than the selector itself? Any thoughts welcome!
Attachments
IMG_20200503_144436983.jpg
IMG_20200503_144436983.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2536 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Gear selection esp 3rd & 4th!

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Mike, and welcome to the Forum.

I'm going to let Peter Hills know about your post and ask him to respond. He has carried out a great deal of work on his gearbox recently, particularly in the area of the selectors. I'm sure he will be able to offer good insight. I'll ask him to respond here.

And please pass on my best wishes to Bazza!
PeterWHills

Post by PeterWHills »

Hi Barry, happy to help but I am a 'world expert' on 1929 Morris Minor Three Speed Gearbox. Seems yours is a 4 speed. Mine used to jump out of gear if cruising in top and when taking foot off the accelerator it would jump to neutral. I did several things so cannot state which one or many solved the problem. Earlier I had fitted a spring under the plate that secure the gearstick to the housing (those three bolts) to take up movement, this may have exacerbated the problem so I removed it making sure there is minimal vertical movement of the gearshift lever. Next, I replaced the springs in the selectors, I found one longer than the other. There is a technical article on VMR that I authored. If you place the tip of the gear lever into the selector are and evaluate the slack and wear. Mine was considerable so I had the gear lever tip TIG welded then shaped it to a smooth neat fit. Since I had the lever out so decided to have it nickel plated rather than painted as the paint would come off and it would rust. Doing this took up some minor clearances. When fitted the gears were stiff like a new car but after a couple of days were nice and sure. I also ensure that the spacer ferrels on the selector rods were identical to original position. Since I had the gear box in pieces, using a Dremmel I carefully smoothed the gear 'Dogs' that appear parallel but were to an angle so I slightly ground them in the opposite slope to offer a better purchase of the 'Dog Gears'. Delicate work but seems to work. I replaced layshafts and fitted new bushes in 1st and 2snd gear clusters and now my gearbox sounds great, the wining and whirring solved and gone. I plan to write a revised Gearbox Overhaul for VMR to improve an earlier technical article.
Attachments
Gearbox cover underside showing selector rods& spacers
Gearbox cover underside showing selector rods& spacers
20200112 Morris Gearbox Selector Top Cover IP4_0446.JPG (352.09 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Repaired Pivot ball slot and lever to ball
Repaired Pivot ball slot and lever to ball
20200112 Morris Gearbox Lever Recon IP4_0439.JPG (376.94 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Past brazed repair, lever to Pivot Ball
Past brazed repair, lever to Pivot Ball
20200112 Morris Gearbox Lever Recon IP4_0435.JPG (346.87 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Gear lever end tip worn1
Gear lever end tip worn1
20200112 Morris Gearbox Lever Recon IP4_0434.JPG (318.36 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Gear lever end tip worn2
Gear lever end tip worn2
20200112 Morris Gearbox Lever Recon IP4_0433.JPG (295.04 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
PeterWHills

Post by PeterWHills »

Barry, I discovered that the system limits me to 5 pictures so here are the next two of my 29 Minor 3 speed gearbox lever after TIG welding and nickel plating. Looks pretty and now will not rust either.
Attachments
Gear lever end view.
Gear lever end view.
20200310 Gear Stick Selector end Nickel Plated - 1929 Morris Minor M10228 PH3_0853.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2525 times
The complete gear lever
The complete gear lever
20200310 Gear Stick Nickel Plated - 1929 Morris Minor M10228 PH3_0851.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2525 times
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Thank you Peter and Ian. That gear lever looks a million dollars with the nickel coating! The photos are valuable and have given me an idea where to start. As I said, I'm pretty sure this is not a gear lever issue but more likely internal. Regards, Michael on behalf of Barry.