Enamel VMR Car Badges

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Enamel VMR Car Badges

Post by chris lambert »

A club badge design already exists and can be seen on the VMR sweatshirt and on the front of our VMR Magazine.See Below:

I know this is not the first time the subject of car badges for our club has been raised, but it occurred to me that the 'wearing' of such badges on our cars would certainly aid recruitment of new members, as the badges will constantly 'advertise' the clubs existence wherever the car goes. Currently many of our cars wear the Morris Register badge and a host of other badges with no mention of the VMR. Clive Hamilton Gould can be seen in many photos wearing his VMR sweatshirts, not just in the VMR mag but in the VSCC Bulletin and if memory serves, also in 'Light Car Journey', the new Tim Cork book (page 118). Our cars could replicate many times over this type of impact and exposure.
Whilst I know the number of members who view the forum is a small percentage of the total membership, could those interested (subject to cost etc) register their interest here in order to help guage potential numbers and if I can find (or if someone knows of) a badge manufacturer, I will follow up and try and get a batch manufactured.
I want two, to kick things off.
Chris
Edited to add: Maybe Ian could put a small piece in the next VMR Magazine to guage response from the wider membership.
Last edited by chris lambert on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Highlander

Re: Enamel VMR Car Badges

Post by Highlander »

Count me in - Alister (Highlander.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Good morning Chris

If everything goes according to plan I'll need 1.
Just don't expect to see it on the car this summer
I'll phone you friday

Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Chris, this is an excellent idea and one I have tried to work out before. I got a couple of quotes from the traditional manufacturers, but they were prohibitively expensive for a small run. Most of the cost is in the die. We would need to sell a significant number to bring the cost to something reasonable, and we would end up with the same problem we had with kingpins and other batched parts. But don't let me put anyone off trying again if they know of a suitable supplier. Let's collectively see what we can come up with. I will put something in M 130 - just to gauge possible demand.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

I have spoken to Pamela Davids Enamels and sent them the badge design. They will email me badge prices tomorrow. I have also emailed Roberts Enamels both firms being recommended by Tony Gamble elsewhere on this forum.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Chris.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have a Bean Car Club badge in front of me and this is just a cast Brass, Bronze, casting - no enamel at all. Wouldn something like nthbis be cheaper? Also what is cheap? What do you think? Alister.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Alister,
Apparently there are a number of different manufacturing options available to us. A simple cast badge may well be the way to go, particularly as we have had items cast in the past, namely the calormeter wings. Perhaps a simpler club badge design, suitable for casting, is a real viable option and perhaps the least expensive. Certainly the wings we had cast last year were very reasonable. Ian arranged this via Bev Hicks if I remember correctly?
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, that's right - Bev's man did a great job on the calormeter wings. We'd need someone clever to make a pattern if we went this route.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I love the idea of an enamel badge, especially as the deep blue is so pleasing! Count me in for 2 car badges. Would be good stock for selling at Beaulieu on the club stand!!!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

I have just had the costs back from Pamela Davids Enamels. A 2.5 inch diameter (approx) badge bar bar metal and enamel club badge will cost £65 each + £5 postage and packing. We will be able to order these on an individual basis through the above company. Contact is Derren Taylor Tel. No. 01769 520536. However we cannot order immediatley as there are some set up processes and costs, which Ian has indicated the Register will stand. Delivery is 4-5 months, so not exactly fast, but the end result will be a quality product - not a plastic or resin affair. I am sure Ian will make a more general announcement on the web site home page and in the VMR Magazine.
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

BLIMEY :shock: Sounds like it will be a damn fine badge though. Does it get cheaper the more there are? May have to reconsider buying 2 immediately and make it one a year or maybe biannual as a gift!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Sorry, much too much for me. Alister.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The issue with the cast badge Alister is getting someone to make the die and mould for the casting. If anyone knows of a company or individual that could do this for us at a reasonable cost, please let me know and I will follow it up.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I agree that Pamela David badges would probably be very high quality, but the price tag is going to be too high for most, I fear.

I might be able to get a far better deal in the US. Everything is much cheaper here. A couple of years ago friend of mine had a US company cast up a batch of University Motors multi-coloured delivery plates for early MG's from an original. The castings were double-sided, to include the original UK manufacturer's details on the reverse. They were superb and totally indistinguishable from the original. They cost less than $30 each. I'll make contact with him and see if I can get a quote for some car badges.

Edited to add pic of the University Motors replica delivery plate: