UK driving licenses

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

UK driving licenses

Post by Ian Grace »

So Jayne and I are planning to return to live in England in 2024, when I reach 70 and retire. One of the things we need to plan for is UK driving licenses. Jayne has her original UK license which, runs out in 2029, when she will hit 70. I have lost mine, but presumably it runs out in 2024, coinciding with our return.

Can anyone tell us what I will need to do to recover my license, and what happens on my 70th Birthday. Will I need a medical? I have also read that I need some sort of endorsement to tow a trailer. I cannot, it seems, apply for a replacement license right now as one has to be a UK resident, which I am currently not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
maddpuk

Re: UK driving licenses

Post by maddpuk »

Ian,

There's a lot of Q&A on such topics on the DVLA website. The challenge is finding the right 'Q'.

Do you have a record of your UK licence number? That would help a lot, ideally along with the last UK registered address then you could just apply for replacement. If you have your licence number & NH # then you can do a licence check online. This was setup to allow you to release details to 3rd parties, e.g. for car rental, for 21-days.
I don't believe you need a medical at 70, nor every 3yrs thereafter, but you do have to self-certificate. So, if you fail to disclose then were involved in an accident that could be complicated.

As for trailers, that shouldn't be a problem based on when you passed your test - things changed for licenses post 1-Jan-1997. You can check your approved classes on the licence, where B is a car and E is a trailer, so BE is together. Simples. Also, many of us older drivers carry-over permission to drive other/larger vehicles, e.g. C1 = up to 7.5T (rigid), so with C1E you can even add a trailer to that.

Which reminds me, I have a new towbar I need to fit ...
Paul
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Paul, that's really useful and encouraging info. I'm not sure I can find my license number, but will trawl the family archives for it.

Cheers,

Ian
tonym

Post by tonym »

At 70 you will also need a passport type of photo - as this will be electronically added to your licence card when you get it.
The old type of paper licences are no longer used.
For quite some time you had to have both - but not any more.

Every 3 years you have to re apply for your license with a self certification of health.
At the 3rd one i:e at 79 you will need a new photo, as a new physical card will be issued.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Tony,

All good info.

Ian