Smiths Shock Absorbers

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Bruce

Smiths Shock Absorbers

Post by Bruce »

Hi Guys I have just started rebuilding a 1929 Cammy Minor.
Would like some advice on the Smiths Shock absorbers. I have been advised by Graham Brown at VCSA that the correct material is not available for the linings anymore and suggested leather would be very good to use. So I have tracked down some leather of the correct thickness and width. So I intend to use this. Originally the shocks were grease filled...………….so should I refill with grease or leave dry. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Smiths Shock Absorbers

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Bruce,

I'm about to send out the October newsletter so I'll put your question to the entire membership!

I'l post any answers I get here.

Ian
PeterWHills

Post by PeterWHills »

Hi Bruce, frankly the Smiths Shocks are more for decoration than functionality. I restored mine by weld brazing around the drums that were severely worn and grooved then machining them nice and smooth. You will probably find the mild steel cover plates are very worn around the edges from contact to the cast outer drum circumference. I cut and shaped new cover plates then had a reverse made of the SMITHS etc artwork and each plate was engraved. Regards the material around the drums, I used thick leather but feel a tough synthetic material would probably work. Keep in mind that the material should not compress or displace much. I have tried different greases and settings but just do not notice the effect. My 1929 Minor seems reasonably stable on the road, see my photo gallery of my restoration on http://www.back-to-africa-in-a-1929morrisminor.com. You are doing the same restoration work as me. If you need a Hood Frame, I did some simple drawings that are posted on this site as well. I have also published several technical articles that could help you. Good luck but fee free to contact me direct. Peter
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

New buffalo leather lining in the shocks be interesting to see how it works...….I will try no grease first up.