Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2019

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2019

Post by Ian Grace »

We're up and running for our 2019 Summer Rally! The dates are Friday evening 19th July to Sunday 21st July. The usual itinerary with the informal welcome reception on Friday evening, Pre-War Prescott on Saturday and the Navigation Rally and Scenic Tour on Sunday with a farewell run on Sunday evening. This year, our Sunday route will take us east and north from Prescott up over the Cotswold escarpment which always affords superb views to the west, to the Malverns and beyond. My favourite part of the world!

The website has been launched at http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Summerral ... _2019.html, and the entry form can be downloaded from that page. Alternatively, you can book online at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=161.

2019 marks the 90th Anniversary of the start of production of the M Type MG, so we are expecting a very strong M entry over the weekend.

The weekend continues to go from strength to strength and 2019 will be no exception. We have already booked in a couple of new clubs to join us, including the Early MG Society who have not joined us since the early VMR Prescott days.
The Dutch MG Group is also planning another 'raid' for the weekend and the weekend also slips neatly between the VSCC meets at Donnington and Cadwell, which is fortunate.

I am working feverishly on the Maddox to get it serviced and fully road sorted in time to ship in May. It has been many years since I had my own Minor in the UK. In fact the last time was with the Semi-sports at our Dorset rally in 2007. Can't wait!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2019

Post by Ian Grace »

There is another hugely significant anniversary that we will be celebrating next year at our Summer Rally. That is the Centenary of the formation of Morris Motors.

Morris Motors Ltd., was incorporated in July 1919. So how appropriate to celebrate it in July 2019!

Consequently, I will be pulling out all the stops to gather as many pre-war Morrises as we can - including Minors of course. Please start making your plans - entries are now open for the weekend. Just go to http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Summerral ... _2019.html where you can download the Entry Form or enter online at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=161.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

As of this morning, we have an incredible 21 entries already! We reached that point on 22nd January this year for this year's Summer Rally, so we are about two and a half months ahead of this year! This year we had 179 pre-booked entries, with about 200 cars present on the day, so next year we are already looking at a HUGE entry! With all the new clubs coming on board, we will be in the region of 240 to 250 entries by the weekend. Its going to be a tremendous weekend!

You can check out the entry list as it grows at http://prewarprescott.com/wp-admin/post ... ction=edit.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Entries for the weekend are already pouring in! We're already up to 36. We've never seen anything like this, with 8 months to go. Entry number 36 for PWP 2018 arrived the first week in February this year! The current projection for PWP 2019 is for an incredible 240 entries.

So far, we have 13 MMM entries and 13 Hornet specials, including four Seber specials, three of which are coming from Germany.

Here's the German Seber special contingent that will be joining us over the weekend, all also entering the Sunday Scenic Tour:

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here we are early in the New Year, and the summer isn't that far away!

As of this morning (5th January), we already have an incredible 63 entries for the weekend. We reached this point around mid April last year!

Let's see if we can gather a record Minor entry this year. I think the most we have ever had in the past is 18. Who else is planning to be there, but has not entered yet?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Delighted to report that we received seven entries from Holland today for the weekend, including Halbe Tjepkema with his recently-restored 1929 fabric saloon. Robin Hiscocks has also entered his brown 1929 fabric saloon, so it will be super to compare them side by side.

As of today, we're standing at an incredible 78 entries, and we're only two weeks in to the New Year!

What I'm really looking forward to is next month, when we will find out if we have air support from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Watch this space!

This year we are offering a five Pound raffle ticket with every entry, with the proceeds going to the RAF Charitable Trust. So the 78 entries received represents a tremendous GBP 390 already. We should be able to reach well over GBP 1,000 by the day, and in return, I am working hard to gather a range of really worthwhile prizes. More tickets will be available on the day.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike Dalby entered his M Type today, bringing to 8 the number of M's entered so far as we plan to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the start of M Type (and therefore MMM) production.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A fantastic entry is building for our Summer rally.

As of this morning, we have 102 entries, with 220 climbs booked, 102 BBQ tickets spoken for and 41 entries for the Sunday run. And its only February!

Five Minors so far, including Halbe Tjepkema's fabulous fabric saloon which he is bringing over from Holland. Robin Hiscocks has also entered his fabric saloon, so the two should make a fascinating pair. Any more fabric saloon entries?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

As of today, 127 entries, 268 climbs, 117 for the BBQ and 50 entries for the Sunday run.

8 M Types and 8 Minors booked so far.

You can check the entry list as it grows at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=547.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I received the contract for Prescott from the BOC today, and its for three years, so we now have dates confirmed for PWP 2020 (Saturday 18th July) and 2021 (Saturday 17th July). This secures our slot for the foreseeable future, which is good news, particularly for those making long-term plans to visit from abroad.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Entries coming in thick and fast now. 11 in the last week. Now 138 entries, and 293 climbs. Once we hit 300 in the next few days, I'll be reducing the number of bookable climbs from two plus a free one to one plus a free one.

Check out the entry list as it grows at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=547.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wow! SIXTEEN entries received so far today! Up to 335 climbs!

I'm honouring two climbs plus a free one until midnight tomorrow (Sunday).
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

An incredible 23 entries have arrived over the weekend so far as we reduce the number of bookable climbs at midnight tonight from two plus a free one to one plus a free one.

As each entrant receives a free GBP 5 raffle ticket, we have already gathered GBP 800 in donations to the RAF Charitable Trust from the 160 entries received in total. Additional tickets will be available in the morning on the day - immediately after the auction.

Right now we have 11 Minors entered. We have 13 Alvises entered, and 10 Austin 7's.

But perhaps the best statistic is that we have 50 VMR members entered with their cars. That's over 20% of the entire worldwide membership!

351 climbs have been allocated, 133 BBQ tickets spoken for, 58 entries for Sunday (10 for the nav rally, 48 for the scenic tour), 112 cream teas, 29 volunteers to marshal at Prescott and 4 for Sunday.

These are incredible numbers for early March!

We are also gathering some great gifts for the raffle. The first is a Tiger Moth flight with Finest Hour Warbirds, and the second is a sumptuous meal for two at the Michelin-starred John's House restaurant, courtesy of the Duffins. And we have more incredible prizes in the pipeline. More news on those in due course.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Now up to 169 entries - we had 179 IN TOTAL last year, and we still have months to go!

367 climbs have now been allocated and an incredible 31 entries have been submitted since the climb reduction last Saturday. When we get to 400 climbs, I'll have to reduce climbs again to just the free one.

Looking ahead, I think we're looking at something like 240 entries this year, representing an incredible array of pre-war cars. I may CLOSE entries if we get to 240, as it is crucial to maintain the relaxed atmosphere that is the hallmark of the weekend. But if that happens, I will allow further Minor and M Type entries.

Sarah Gibson has booked in her McEvoy, Simon Hodgins is bringing his Jensen-bodied Minor, so these two cars will make for a fascinating comparison. Latest Minor entry is Clive Hamilton-Gould and his 1930 tourer.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

177 entries and counting as of this morning.

Delighted to report that our M Type-owning member VolkerTilly has entered and will be bringing his M from Germany. This brings the total number of M Types entered so far to 14.

I heard from the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight this morning that we will know the result of our air support request in the next couple of weeks. This normally happens in February, but things are running slightly late this year. Watch this space for further news as it breaks.