1934 Morris Minor 2 seater - FS 9498

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

DougT

1934 Morris Minor 2 seater - FS 9498

Post by DougT »

Rather a long shot but wondering if this original registration of FS 9498 might be known by any members.
Having acquired the car a couple of months ago with the age related registration on it of JVS 399 I'm trying to delve
Into its history. The original registration was removed in January 1992 and is now on a Honda Integra so unfortunately doesn't seem much chance of reuniting them.
I've gleaned with the help of the DVLA that the original reg was an Edinburgh issue,and it appears there was one
owner in Scotland from 1934 to 1979, after that it's had owners in Boston Lincs,Nottingham,Mansfield,Amersham,Maidstone,
Rochester and Ashford Kent so passed through a 'few' hands in its lifetime.
Any info or thoughts how I might be able to find out more history would be greatly appreciated.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1934 Morris Minor 2 seater - FS 9498

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Doug,

FS is indeed an Edinburgh registration. FS 7771 was issued 1/1/34 and they reached 9999 before the end of the year.

Registration records for Edinburgh-registered cars are held by the City Archives, City Chambers, High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1YJ, tel. 0131/529/4093. I would start by contacting them and they may, with any luck, be able to provide you with the exact date of first registration and the name of the first owner.

I was interested to see how much owner information DVLA was able to provide - no names or addresses, I suppose?

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Ian

PS - would you like to post a couple of photos of your car here? if you need help, you can e-mail them to me and i will put them up.
DougT

Post by DougT »

Hi Ian
Thanks for that I'll give the Edinburgh Archive a try, I had the Kithead trust mentioned to me as a possible source of information, worth trying any tips to see if anything of interest surfaces.
Found out where the original reg was by doing a MOT history check to see if it still existed.
I'll send you some pictures haven't quite sussed out how to put them directly on here
All the best
Doug
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Doug, the Kithead Trust holds many of the UK registration records, but I believe all of the Edinburgh records are held at the address I posted.

Incidentally, what is the procedure for requesting data from DVLA?

I received your photos - will post here shortly.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

DougT

Post by DougT »

With the DVLA I started out by filling in their 888 enquiry form, sent it then received a letter back saying they couldn't divulge personal info but write to them if I wanted to pursue it. So I wrote asking for anything they could release under the data regulations and enclosed £5 for their search fee, and received back some very useful info. Talking to friends, I reckon it's luck of the draw if you catch them on a good day as to what they let you have.

Hope this might help for anyone else's investigations.